Daughter in her early twenties

Hi, I'm new to the NAS. My daughter, in her twenties, is at university . We are still having many challenges with her behaviour. Would love to chat with people in a similar situation.

Parents
  • I do, or some of them, anyway. My father turned against me when I was 15, having already turned against my mum several years previously. To cut a very long story short, after many, many years of my mum trying to make the marriage work and me hiding away from him he's finally moved out.

I love my mum dearly, but she was the sort of parent who would lie to me to get me to do what she wanted, and as a result I now don't trust her as far as I could throw her, which makes me really sad. She has also time and time again broken the promise not to move things in my room without asking, and got away with it every time due to my hatred of conflict, which meant I was easily soothed every time I tried to confront her. Thankfully she's finally stopped doing it, but sadly she's moved onto breaking other promises. I really wish I could trust her, but I don't at all. I'm wondering what else she's lying to me about or hasn't told me.

I think it's because of this that at the end of a college day, I feel like I'm leaving my family rather than going home to it. One parent has made it quite clear he's never wanted me, the other has shattered my trust like a glass ornament. I'm incredibly close to my sister, but she's at university most of the time, and she's got her own life to get on with so she doesn't really need me dragging her down.

Can you think of anything that may have triggered the way your daughter feels? How close were you before then? Of course, she may not even know herself what it was. I often find I have to examine my life closely to understand why I think and behave the way I do.

• I do, or some of them, anyway. My father turned against me when I was 15, having already turned against my mum several years previously. To cut a very long story short, after many, many years of my mum trying to make the marriage work and me hiding away from him he's finally moved out.

I love my mum dearly, but she was the sort of parent who would lie to me to get me to do what she wanted, and as a result I now don't trust her as far as I could throw her, which makes me really sad. She has also time and time again broken the promise not to move things in my room without asking, and got away with it every time due to my hatred of conflict, which meant I was easily soothed every time I tried to confront her. Thankfully she's finally stopped doing it, but sadly she's moved onto breaking other promises. I really wish I could trust her, but I don't at all. I'm wondering what else she's lying to me about or hasn't told me.

I think it's because of this that at the end of a college day, I feel like I'm leaving my family rather than going home to it. One parent has made it quite clear he's never wanted me, the other has shattered my trust like a glass ornament. I'm incredibly close to my sister, but she's at university most of the time, and she's got her own life to get on with so she doesn't really need me dragging her down.

Can you think of anything that may have triggered the way your daughter feels? How close were you before then? Of course, she may not even know herself what it was. I often find I have to examine my life closely to understand why I think and behave the way I do.

Children
No Data