Advice needed for meltdowns please!!!

Hi, I am new to the site and am looking for any advice on how to deal with my 11 year old son's meltdowns!

At the end of last year we had an Ed Psych assessment which showed that he has a high liklihood of Aspergers and a severe Seperation Anxiety Disorder.  I have many problems getting him into school some days as using the school toilets is a massive issue for him along with the bus journey, changing from lesson to lesson, time in the playground with friends, using the school canteen, everything generally!

At home, he has many meltdowns and just today has begun to be very physical with me, pushing me and hitting me too.  Today he was damaging my radiator with a toy car and when I took the car away he became violent. 

He has been referred to CAMHS and they met on Monday this week to decide if they are going to take him on or not.  I am at the end of my tether.  I try to stay really calm and leave him to 'play out' the meltdown as interaction seems to aggravate him, but today nothing worked.  He didnt want to do anything with me, didnt want me even in the same room as him, then when I went off to do something else, that wasnt right either!  How do other people manage it?

He can also be very aggravating to his younger brother who is 8 and also seems to have the same 'symptoms' and to be honest it is hard work trying to keep them tolerating each other as one comment from one sets the other one off!!!

Does anyone have any suggestions that may help please?

Thanks

Parents
  • I dont believe in bad dogs either

Love and Leadership

Reasonable discource works just fine as long as they see you as a friendly figure as opposed to some faceless goon of a hostile world attempting to "trick" them with silken words.

oh and little mans ok w me. hes always been sunny and forgiving, but id rather not need the forgiveness of a toddler

I have had the privilige of being vauguely involved in the lives of littleman and his aspie sister and have witnessed how, in a household that doesnt see them as broken, an autistic child doesnt rebel but responds to leadership, has few and mild meltdowns, becomes more outgoing every day. I swear 90% of an autistic childs stress and the difficulties that brings are caused by the conflict between what the child is and what the parent wants it to be. I know I certainly chose the rebel role because try as I might conformity and parental approval were beyond my reach.

• I dont believe in bad dogs either

Love and Leadership

Reasonable discource works just fine as long as they see you as a friendly figure as opposed to some faceless goon of a hostile world attempting to "trick" them with silken words.

oh and little mans ok w me. hes always been sunny and forgiving, but id rather not need the forgiveness of a toddler

I have had the privilige of being vauguely involved in the lives of littleman and his aspie sister and have witnessed how, in a household that doesnt see them as broken, an autistic child doesnt rebel but responds to leadership, has few and mild meltdowns, becomes more outgoing every day. I swear 90% of an autistic childs stress and the difficulties that brings are caused by the conflict between what the child is and what the parent wants it to be. I know I certainly chose the rebel role because try as I might conformity and parental approval were beyond my reach.

Children
No Data