Mum of 14 year old Aspie girl, probably!! :)

Hi!

Following a trip to see The Curious Incident... a few days ago, followed by a lot of discussion and a fair amount of research, I'm pretty sure my 14yo daughter has Aspergers. Mostly she's wonderful, and just finding out there's a likely explanation has taken some of the pressure off both of us - we haven't laughed so much together in years. We're currently awaiting a meeting with her head of year and class teacher at school to ask them to do a report on her which our GP can then use for a referral to CAMHS.

In the meantime, and in the full knowledge that there's no such thing as a quick fix in all this, please could anyone help with something that's always driven me mad about her? She has no sense of urgency at all, and doesn't mind getting anywhere late (apart from school where she's very conscientious). For example, last night we were both going to a choir session at 7.30 and I asked her at 6pm to have a shower first. I was still asking when she eventuallygot in the shower an hour and ten minutes later, and we were over half an hour late for choir. She won't let me suprrvise her until she does things, and hates me going on about time and how we're going to be late.  Has anyone got any suggestions please as to how to encourage her to do things within a reasonable timescale?? 

Thanks for your help, and see you around I hope!

Magpie x

Parents Reply Children
No Data