Overwhelmed

Hi everyone I am a mum of two currently going through diagnosis for my 2 1\2 year old son and have a 5month old baby.  I am currently on maternity leave and with this recent news I just don't know if I should go back to work.  I have no idea how much therapy my son will be offered ? I want to do whatever I can to help him but also think work is an escape from what at times can be challenging. 

I feel alone overwhelmed and uninformed at what will happen after diagnosis? 

• That is my approach information is power ! Just in the waiting stage at the moment we go to autistic in Feb for the diagnosis which I know will be a definite . I have a great family support network two members of the family also work with autistic children which is great and my husband is amazing.  

We have sent forms off for portage and early years key worker but other than that I have no idea what we will be entitled to as far a therapy and benefits there is so much information its difficult to see what's correct.

Thanks for the reply I really appreciate it

• Hi - it must all seem bewildering + worrying right now, esp with having a new baby as well.  What have the professionals who are assessing your son said not just about the diagnostic process but about any support etc that may be forthcoming if he is diagnosed as autistic?  You are right in thinking that going to work can keep your life more balanced as well as the financial benefits.  Can you tell us a bit more about your family circumstances such as support from family, friends, etc?  I ask these things because it can be helpful to others who want to reply to you.  Feeling overwhelmed and uninformed is unfortunately not unusual.  You've come to the right place for help, support + info.  Have a look at the posts, look at various topics via the home page.  Post whenever you want + ask whatever you want.  Be assertive with the professionals.  Information is power.  Good luck Smile