Craving emotional connection.

Hello

I'm NT, husband is ASD

How do I explain to him my need for emotional connection is unmet?

Parents
  • This is a hard question because part and parcel with being autistic is that we all have varying degrees of emotional ability. This is not to say that we don't have emotions. The issue with many of us is that we don't know what to do with them. I myself keepy my emotions metaphorically bottled up and tucked away because I don't understand them. 

I once saw a similar type of question on Redditt. The woman in question asked about how she could get her husband to be more spontaneous. She said that if they were walking down the street, she would love it if he ducked off and later suprised her with roses and a box of chocolates.

During their next outing, he did this and was scolded by his wife who told him that she had only meant what she had earlier said as an example and that she hadn't meant for him to actually do this. She also complained that this act hadn't been spontaneous.

Since most of us have a distinct preference for schedules and routines, we are not known for being spontaneous. 

My suggestion to her was for her to modify her expectations and to be grateful that he had at least tried. 

My suggestion to you is that the two of you sit down to talk about this. You could alternatively visit a marriage counselor to speak about this with an objective third party mediator. 

Sadly, we are the persons that we are and no amount of wishing otherwise will change this. 

• This is a hard question because part and parcel with being autistic is that we all have varying degrees of emotional ability. This is not to say that we don't have emotions. The issue with many of us is that we don't know what to do with them. I myself keepy my emotions metaphorically bottled up and tucked away because I don't understand them. 

I once saw a similar type of question on Redditt. The woman in question asked about how she could get her husband to be more spontaneous. She said that if they were walking down the street, she would love it if he ducked off and later suprised her with roses and a box of chocolates.

During their next outing, he did this and was scolded by his wife who told him that she had only meant what she had earlier said as an example and that she hadn't meant for him to actually do this. She also complained that this act hadn't been spontaneous.

Since most of us have a distinct preference for schedules and routines, we are not known for being spontaneous. 

My suggestion to her was for her to modify her expectations and to be grateful that he had at least tried. 

My suggestion to you is that the two of you sit down to talk about this. You could alternatively visit a marriage counselor to speak about this with an objective third party mediator. 

Sadly, we are the persons that we are and no amount of wishing otherwise will change this. 

Children
No Data