Craving emotional connection.

Hello

I'm NT, husband is ASD

How do I explain to him my need for emotional connection is unmet?

• What led me to separation as I was on the verge of having an affair. It's tough. I know, I've been there. When you realise that emotionally you're miles apart from each other and yet still love each other very much. 

My advise, for what it's worth (2 years' separated and still living in anguish) is to keep working at it and access relationship therapy if you can. I didn't do the latter - sensory, anxiety issues on both parts etc - but I wish I had given it a try. Separating from the love of your life is very hard.

I wish you all the best.

A

• Hi and welcome to the community!

You might find this book helpful (I have, so it's a personal recommendation):

Loving Someone with Asperger's Syndrome: Understanding and Connecting with your Partner

Quotes from the blurb include:

" This book explains how Asperger's may cause problems in a relationship and offers help for communicating, coparenting, and building an emotional connection with a partner who has Asperger's syndrome."

"This book presents practical guidance that will help partners get what they need in their relationships by working together with their Asperger's partner."

It includes thought-provoking exercises that you can carry out together and use as a basis for discussions.

It was written when Asperger's was still a diagnostic term, but it would now simply fall under "autism". One caveat: when describing scenarios or potential issues, the author constantly switches between which of the male and female partners is NT and which is autistic. This can be annoying, but the trouble is still well worth it, in my view.   

Couples therapy might also be worth considering. 

• I have a friend whom I do not feel emotionally connected too at all. He is autistic too. I crave some kinda friendship connection with him but it’s just not there

• I don’t even know. I guess you oughtta just say it to him. I crave emotional connection too. I don’t get it though I find it hard to connect with others for one reason or the other. I would like it too though. I Think autistic people do find it hard to connect with others.