Is it normal for a guy with ASD to struggle with maintaining communication (e.g. texting, phone calls or even video calls) when dating?

The guy in question is affectionate and initiates physical contact and intimacy a lot when we're together but only seems to struggle with maintaining communication in between meet ups, either through texts (often takes a long time to reply) and says he often gets quite mentally tired with phone calls or video calls

Parents
  • says he often gets quite mentally tired with phone calls or video calls

I would keep the communication light then as this is not uncommon in autists - there is a chance he may have PDA (demand avoidance) which is a common trait and if he is young then communication can be a bit tricky as phone and video calls are getting to be seen as uncool.

I would consider making the few times you do make contact to be when they are most likely to be messing around if this is your concern - if you agree up front to have contact twice a day for example  then target this at a time when he would be indisposed were he playing around.

• says he often gets quite mentally tired with phone calls or video calls

I would keep the communication light then as this is not uncommon in autists - there is a chance he may have PDA (demand avoidance) which is a common trait and if he is young then communication can be a bit tricky as phone and video calls are getting to be seen as uncool.

I would consider making the few times you do make contact to be when they are most likely to be messing around if this is your concern - if you agree up front to have contact twice a day for example  then target this at a time when he would be indisposed were he playing around.

Children
  • Thank you for the advice. I feel like I should've clarified a bit better. It's only been a few months that we've been dating and he shows all the typical signs that he likes me (he initiates physical contact a lot and likes to be intimate are just a couple of examples). He is also keen for me to meet his family and has asked about meeting my family soon but he still wants to take things slow and is not quite ready for us to be "official". I've already met a lot of his friends and I'm very aware that he likes a lot of down time to just look at his interests and play video games. I guess I just feel that the behaviour and rationale he has is a little bit off?