How to Make Friends and Get Back Out There

Hi everyone.

I'm new here and not sure how to navigate just yet. I have no experience using forums, but thought since I'm having such a terrible time connecting with people IRL, there is quite literally nothing to lose.

My name is Hallow, I'm 29 years old and a non-binary bean - they/she (please ask my pronouns). I'm  into all things animated. Cartoons, anime, animated films, etc. I'm generally a creative person and enjoy just about any hobby or activity that involves creating: drawing (digital and traditional), painting, jewellery making, baking & cooking, etc.

Since my self- diagnosis just over a year ago,  my life kinda fell apart and I've been on the journey of seeking diagnosis for my Autism & ADHD, while managing my comorbidities. I lost all my "friends" and family and became very isolated (mostly for my own safely), and ended up moving to a whole new city by myself. 

I find that my experience has made me so much more reluctant to put myelf out there in the way that I used to. I also know that the way I approach things like human interactions is vastly different now.

Soo, I want to try something new. I've heard so many people say how they've made some great friends online on Reddit or Tumblr or some other site I've always felt too intimidated to use. Well, if there's anywhere that I can be my full Autistic self and not feel 'wrong' or 'other' it's NAS, right?

Like I said, there's quite literally nothing to lose, but hopefully I'll gain some meaningful interactions,

dare I say.... even friends? EyesJoy

Has anyone got any tips for coming out of isolation in your late 20s/30s?

Or any age?

Or just want to say "Hi"?

I hope to chat with you all Blue heartPurple heartGreen heart

Parents
  • So I've noticed most of the replies are from very active members in the community, so thank you for your comments.

I have to say this wasn't what I was expecting and I'm a bit taken aback.

Not sure how to feel about the comments about gender identity and the LGBTQIA community. I only mentioned my pronouns to introduce myself in a single sentence, yet was met with paragraphs about how this form of self-expression makes others uncomfortable & they don't really understand it. 

I was excited to read the comment but found myself quite disappointed and not sure how to respond. It took me a while to realise I didn't know how to respond because I didn't feel safe doing so.

I appreciate we all have different views and stances in life, I just wasn't expecting paragraphs about how confusing it is and how race, gender, and how others address you are completely irrelevant to some others. I appreciate past experiences may have created some confusion or negative connotations for others.... but I was literally just introducing myself.

Wasn't expecting it to garner such strong responses....

Not sure this forum is for me after all Pray tone5

• So I've noticed most of the replies are from very active members in the community, so thank you for your comments.

I have to say this wasn't what I was expecting and I'm a bit taken aback.

Not sure how to feel about the comments about gender identity and the LGBTQIA community. I only mentioned my pronouns to introduce myself in a single sentence, yet was met with paragraphs about how this form of self-expression makes others uncomfortable & they don't really understand it. 

I was excited to read the comment but found myself quite disappointed and not sure how to respond. It took me a while to realise I didn't know how to respond because I didn't feel safe doing so.

I appreciate we all have different views and stances in life, I just wasn't expecting paragraphs about how confusing it is and how race, gender, and how others address you are completely irrelevant to some others. I appreciate past experiences may have created some confusion or negative connotations for others.... but I was literally just introducing myself.

Wasn't expecting it to garner such strong responses....

Not sure this forum is for me after all Pray tone5

Children
  • Oh no, of course this community is for you! I appreciate you explaining you were just introducing yourself, I think it's so difficult to explain in text something without it coming across too strong.  Apologies if what I wrote wasn't the best. :-(

• Hey Hallow,

I respect your views, I took time to read and reply to you, and you're looking for friends. And I hope that you find some, wherever you choose to go. I suppose because my gender, race, and identity, does not matter much to me, it's hard for me to give so much attention to those things towards other people. If I don't care about sports, it's hard for me to pay attention to that, even if other people love sports. I hope that makes sense. Anyways, all the best to you.