Right..here we go...erm...Is this thing on?

Hello!

A brief history:

Mediocre student with learning difficulties diagnosed with Dyspraxia aged 14 (1992)  - although back then it was called Apraxia.  

Did a lot better at University - came top of my class 1:1 (age 21)

Spool forward stay in education for a bit crash out training to be a teacher (age 28) - which on reflection  - wasn't the best career given how much I had struggled in school I had found a way to  engineer putt myself back into that environment.  "You do you B's backwards!" shall live long in the memory.  Not the best big brained decision I ever made. 

Unemployed for a bit - retrained in science.  

Came out as gay (age 29)

Got a job at a Research Biotech startup  (age 30) - been here for the last 13 years. (now Age 43)  I get made redundant on Friday along with everyone else.  But fear not  - I have found a new job starting next Tuesday!  

Last November I thought I might have ADHD so got tested and it was confirmed Moderate Inattentive ADHD  interestingly I was told I had flagged up several Autistic triggers as well so would I like to be tested for Autism as well.  "Sure" I said....

April 2024  - confirmed Autistic. 

So now I'm just trying to figure out what that means and what I do with that information.  At worst it's neutral  - I now know this about myself.  I suppose  the difficulty is explaining it to others when I don't fully grasp it myself. 

Other stuff.

I live by myself, have a few friends, enjoy computer games, gardening, and playing Dungeons and Dragons with my friends. 

Parents
  •   I suppose  the difficulty is explaining it to others when I don't fully grasp it myself. 

To help you understand the neurodivergent aspects fof yourself the following book is worthwhile:

Neurodiversity - Discovering the Extraordinary Gifts of Autism, ADHD, Dyslexia, and Other Brain Differences - Thomas Armstrong (2010)
    ISBN 9780738214115

As for telling others - do you need to? There is a lot of anecdotal evidene on this site that older diagnosed people have a difficult time with their famiies understanding and accepting it, especially those of your own age or older.

There is a lot of prejudice to what they see as a mental health issue so some reactions can be quite negative while others can be uncaring. Some do accept and want to know more so you may have to chose who you disclose to.

The one big benefit if for yourself - now you understand which traits are autism or ADHD related then you can develop responses that make life more comfortable for you to adapt and do things your own way.

•   I suppose  the difficulty is explaining it to others when I don't fully grasp it myself. 

To help you understand the neurodivergent aspects fof yourself the following book is worthwhile:

Neurodiversity - Discovering the Extraordinary Gifts of Autism, ADHD, Dyslexia, and Other Brain Differences - Thomas Armstrong (2010)
    ISBN 9780738214115

As for telling others - do you need to? There is a lot of anecdotal evidene on this site that older diagnosed people have a difficult time with their famiies understanding and accepting it, especially those of your own age or older.

There is a lot of prejudice to what they see as a mental health issue so some reactions can be quite negative while others can be uncaring. Some do accept and want to know more so you may have to chose who you disclose to.

The one big benefit if for yourself - now you understand which traits are autism or ADHD related then you can develop responses that make life more comfortable for you to adapt and do things your own way.

Children
No Data