Weirdo seeks similarly weird people to chat to.

So I'm on the spectrum, it seems, and this might explain why I've struggled to make and keep friends all my life. In 55 and happily married but my NT wife, love her to bits, finds me hard going and it's good to talk to others who have similar brains. She calls me her "weirdo" sometimes and she's not wrong, I guess ND is a kind of weirdness and I don't mind the label. I guess I get intense at times, and I'm aloof at other times. I can be grumpy but mostly I'm very optimistic. 

I like books, art, films, writing and reading. I have no time for bigots or people who use the phrase "common sense '. I hope to get my novel finished this year. Lefty, parent of two teens, LGBT ally. Would love to chat if you're similarly weird. 

Parents
  • Hi, welcome to the community. We all are weird in certain ways, but not all similar. I like weird (ND) people, they are more interesting for me and it’s easier to communicate with them. It does not mean that there are no misunderstandings, even here we have them quite many, but I just don’t need to mask so much in an interaction with other ND people. 

• Hi there and thanks for the reply.

One of my recent observations, since realising I am autistic, is that when people ask "how are you", or "how was your day", that "fine, thanks" is not enough, they actually want an anecdote about your day, and NT people offer an anecdote every single time without thinking about it, e.g.

Them: "How was your day"

ND person: "Fine thanks"

NT person: "Grim to be honest. Actually mostly grim, but Sheila popped in with a pumpkin spice latte for me which was nice ooh guess who she is with now, that Graham from the barbers, he must be twice her age, anyway how's you?"

Grimacing

• Hi there and thanks for the reply.

One of my recent observations, since realising I am autistic, is that when people ask "how are you", or "how was your day", that "fine, thanks" is not enough, they actually want an anecdote about your day, and NT people offer an anecdote every single time without thinking about it, e.g.

Them: "How was your day"

ND person: "Fine thanks"

NT person: "Grim to be honest. Actually mostly grim, but Sheila popped in with a pumpkin spice latte for me which was nice ooh guess who she is with now, that Graham from the barbers, he must be twice her age, anyway how's you?"

Grimacing

Children