Hi

Hi,

I'm ADHD and my youngest son is awaiting assessment for possible autism. He's probably got a bit of ADHD thrown in.

He's got a lot of issues around school that have been going back over a year. He's attendance plummeted and before that he was spending break and lunch in learning support.

We have moved school and dropped him down a year but the issues haven't gone away and his attendance is where it was before.

School were initially supportive but now they are hinting about asking for evidence to back up the attendance. 

I'm not with his Mum anymore and our views on all of this couldn't be further apart. She is I feel in denial about the possible autism and has called him a lazy slob.

I'm here to link up with other parents to see what has helped them as I feel like I am running out of ideas.

I feel like the system is failing him but at the same time it's still expecting things of us.

Parents Reply
  • It is good to torque and to keep it reel.

A forum is a good place for that.

I do sometimes feel like a paranoid android, as my Radio Head would have it.....fake plastic tress and all that.  Great track, its slow and a bit sad, but a banging tune.

Children
  • the real world whatever that is but on here feels much realer to me

NOW you're talking my language !  I kinda expected we would find our junction box.

Defining what the real world is, not just for me, but for every other sentient entity out there, is quite an important concept to me at the moment.  So much is under real or under hand or under done......well, that is how this android brain currently perceives things any.  I wonder if everyone seeing everything differently to me.....if I am so out of step with things, pegging myself to the wrong horses all the time....you know, just generally getting stuff mixed up in my own head.

I find it all so very confusing.  Don't you?

• I take it as a positive that you know how to unmask. Try to find those who understand and go from their.  I am slowly trying to unlearn the masking is was 'encouraged' to do as a kid.

It is slow going, but hopefully i can make progress and maybe make some friends.

• Thank you. Most appreciated. I've tried fitting in in the real world before but people weren't accepting like you lovely lot are here. Masking I was ok but when I'm myself I think it weirds people out, they definitely seem uncomfortable anyway. I've gone out in to the real world whatever that is but on here feels much realer to me and I feel at a place of comfort and home, with friends, people who understand. That's already made a huge difference in my life.

A forum is a good place for me to learn and understand things better.....this helps to nourish my soul.

Same for me. It's enlightened me being part of this community but also uplifted me in ways that I can't really put in to words.

• Originally from Douglas Adams.

• I'd reckon you'd fit in most places.  That's a compliment.  It is a useful skill.  Reel life is becoming harder to define for me, in the round.  I still definitely know real.....and I like that....but distinguishing the real / reel / riel (sorry, gone all Cambodian there) is troublesome and slippery.....to me.....these days.....everywhere.

A forum is a good place for me to learn and understand things better.....this helps to nourish my soul.

• Thank you so much Touay. That means s lot :) 

• I am glad you feel you fit in here.

• Ohh right ok.... Cool stuff I just didn't want to reply if it wasn't intended for me. As you can probably tell I'm a bit slow as well, like at snail pace, or possibly even slower than that too. I think a disjointed mind is something we all have in common here in one way or another. I haven't heard of radio head before... Guess I need to check out some of their music. Guessing they are older music? On the radio I did hear a Eurythmics song the other day, The Miracle Of Love, and now I'm really in to their music... Though Taylor still comes first of course ;) 

I wasn't expecting to really enjoy or fit in here given that I don't really fit in anywhere in real life but I am finding this a good place to be and insightful too.

• No.  The message was for you.  I don't know really, I have a disjointed mind.  Radiohead are more my scene than Taylor Swift.....hence the paranoid android reference.  I'm more marbles than painting.  Perhaps it was your name, Swifty, that drove my mind into the music reference obfuscation.

Forums are good places to wax lyrical.....especially when we all have a common experience of autism together.

• Have I missed something or did you respond to me accidentally?