New member.

Hello. I'm Brooke and I'm new to the community. I was actually looking for local support in the site help and guidance, but found none and then I saw a link for this community and thought ok why not.

I'm AuDHD and like writing. I write short stories and YA adventure fiction stories, none published as of yet but it's the dream. I'm a fan of Doctor Who as well and have written my own Doctor Who stories. One day I would love to send them to BBC for the real deal but I don't think they are good enough, sadly. Maybe one day though. Anything is possible.

I've been looking for support for autism in Wales but there's none in my area. The closest is Cardiff but it's too far and busy to go to, and I can't drive anyway so it's not really applicable. I've considered starting my own autism support group but I'm still not one hundred percent sure of the idea as I get anxious and achy.

Parents
  • Hi Brooke. Welcome :-) Hope you really like it here. 

That's very cool that you have written DW stories. Have you heard of Big Finish, who also make licensed Doctor Who stories for audio? Once a year they have an open submissions thing where you can send in a story outline and sample and if chosen it gets recorded and released for free so everyone can hear it. The most recent one is here https://www.bigfinish.com/releases/v/doctor-who-short-trips-the-hoxteth-time-capsule-2970 

They started it in honour of someone who worked for them who sadly died young and suddenly. So it's a lovely memorial to him as well as a realistic chance for someone like yourself to get a story made for real. 

No reason you shouldn't dream big about Bad Wolf/BBC making one of your stories, but I just thought I'd mention the above in case it appeals. No pressure to feel you should or anything, just some gentle encouragement and well wishes intended :-)

• Hello Shardovan. I LOVE Heart️ your PFP. Peter Davison is one of my most favourite Doctors, seriously underrated IMO. I also think our of every Doctor - classic and new - he had the best Team Tardis with Tegan, Nyssa and Adric. Ooh I might watch one of his episodes this morning now. Maybe Castrovalva, which is also weirdly underrated but IMO is one of his best episodes! 

Sorry I'm geeking out now lol Nerd 

OMG no I haven't heard of Big Finish!!! Thank you so much for telling me about it and how they accept submissions. Really appreciate it! I need to get writing... That's both sad but extremely lovely how they started it in memory of him. I wonder how he would feel looking down and seeing it? Amazingly proud and honoured I expect.

I'll be buying some for myself for sure. I own a lot of Doctor Who, all the modern seasons, and a good amount of the classic Who.

Thank you for the gentle encouragement and well wishes, it's very nice of you and greatly appreciated by me Slight smile

•  Castrovalva is actually my all time favourite story. You have great taste! 

• Recently recorded, and out soon. The title is very apt for how you and I both see that era! 

They’ve all stayed great friends in real life too. 

• It always ends up dead centre of the rankings polls. Probably because it’s gentler than many other stories, not showy. But it has something so special about how it feels that I can never quite adequately put into words. 

Something it took me a surprisingly long time to realise is that it’s very much a story that speaks to the autistic mind. Maybe the reason you’re drawn to it too? All that stuff about the need for burnout recovery, places of reduced ambient complexity, healing environments. And like you I think that TARDIS team the greatest and there they are, just getting started. Learning about each other. In this poetic atmosphere with the most wonderful music by my favourite composer. And some exquisite dialogue. 

Basically my favourite 100 mins of telly ever made. And it’s clearly close to your heart too. 

• Ahh no way!!! You have excellent taste IMHO Upside down I've always thought it's a seriously underrated episode.

Reply Children
  • Recently recorded, and out soon. The title is very apt for how you and I both see that era! 

They’ve all stayed great friends in real life too. 

• It always ends up dead centre of the rankings polls. Probably because it’s gentler than many other stories, not showy. But it has something so special about how it feels that I can never quite adequately put into words. 

Something it took me a surprisingly long time to realise is that it’s very much a story that speaks to the autistic mind. Maybe the reason you’re drawn to it too? All that stuff about the need for burnout recovery, places of reduced ambient complexity, healing environments. And like you I think that TARDIS team the greatest and there they are, just getting started. Learning about each other. In this poetic atmosphere with the most wonderful music by my favourite composer. And some exquisite dialogue. 

Basically my favourite 100 mins of telly ever made. And it’s clearly close to your heart too.