Feeling lost

Hi I am new here.. I was diagnosed as having Aspergers 5 years ago (aged 72), except they wouldn't give me a formal diagnosis as I couldn't take along someone who knew me as a child.  Feeling concerned now for the future without a formal diagnosis. Can anyone help me with advice as to where to go from here?

• I'm sorry you've hit this snag. There's always a private diagnosis that you could look in to or could you try to be reassessed now and see if they will give you a formal diagnosis? I've read before a lot of people who were diagnosed without taking someone who knew them when they were younger so perhaps it's changed now.

Definitely worth trying again whether you go private or not. I hope next time you will get the formal diagnosis and things will look better then for you.

• I would seek a private assessment and explain before hand that your situation. Is there a friend or another family member that could contribute to the assessment who knows you well? I went with my brother aged 60, this was enough to duagnose x

• Good morning. Have you considered getting a private assessment? I did that to save the wait.  It can be expensive, so you need to look around and do some research, the price varies enormously.   I was assessed three years ago aged 67. Like you, I couldn't take along someone who knew me as a child, but it wasn't a problem, they underdstood that it was impossible.

Ben

• Hello and welcome.

I didn’t have anyone who knew me as a child either so they let me self-report on the developmental forms and agreed to interview two people who knew my now instead.

They said it’s very common for late diagnosed people not to have surviving parents etc.