Hello!

Hello, my name is Katherine. I was diagnosed with Autism in my early teens and since my diagnosis it's been a bit of a crazy ride at times. Now I'm an adult I'm finding things harder to understand and deal with, made worse with the lack of support from professionals. I've been doing volunteer work at a school, helping out the kids in the reception year. I love it but I find it stressful and utterly exhausting.

Lately I've been at home, mostly reading and sorting through my books. Today I'm staying in, I'll listen to some music and maybe watch Up as that's one of my favourite Disney Pixar movies.

Parents
  • Welcome! What other Disney films do you like? Big fan of Toy Story, Inside Out and Cars here.

I hope things get easier for you when it comes to understanding yourself. I can understand how isolating it can be. 

• Hii! Thank you Blush I love both Toy Story and Cars. Toy Story 3 is my favourite of the series, I love that one so much. Inside Out is another of my favourites to watch!

I hope things get easier for you when it comes to understanding yourself. I can understand how isolating it can be

Thank you. I hope things are good for you at the moment? I'm glad you understand. The world can be ever so lonely when you're Autistic, it often feels like an isolated place where no one sees or hears you.

• Hii! Thank you Blush I love both Toy Story and Cars. Toy Story 3 is my favourite of the series, I love that one so much. Inside Out is another of my favourites to watch!

I hope things get easier for you when it comes to understanding yourself. I can understand how isolating it can be

Thank you. I hope things are good for you at the moment? I'm glad you understand. The world can be ever so lonely when you're Autistic, it often feels like an isolated place where no one sees or hears you.

Children
  • His bigger pop songs tend to be my bag. Think Perfect, Castle on the Hill - the ballady stuff. I like Take That, Westlife, One Direction, JLS, while I like the odd song from McFly and The Wanted.

I am lucky because someone referred me at the right time. It's a private service but it's definitely worth it. It's basically the one hour of the week I get to have a conversation with someone who I feel understands what's going on in my head, and tries to see it from my perspective.

I found it difficult to convey to others why "moving on" is not something I consider helpful, because on the inside I'm screaming, like I just physically can't. Not without having deconstructed it completely.

• Give them a listen, they are all pretty good. I love The Day I Was Born. Blush I think a lot of his music is relatable and that's why I like it so much. My favourite boy bands are McFly, 1D, Backstreet Boys, JLS, Boyzone and Busted. I've been getting in to Take That recently as well, their early stuff.

I feel lucky because she's autistic too

Oh wow that is really lucky and I'm so happy for you! I wanted an autistic therapist but none were available in my area unfortunately. I do know of an autistic blood nurse at my GP surgery which is useful for me when I need blood tests, but a therapist who truly understands would be incredibly helpful.

Yeah don't let nobody rush you. You take your time and work through whatever's going on. You'll get there when you're ready, not before. 

• Indeed! I haven't listen to a lot of Ed's stuff from 2023, although I did like Eyes Closed and Life Goes On. Which boybands do you like?

I feel lucky because she's autistic too. I've made some big mistakes and it does make you feel like the world is over, but what she's good for is not rushing me. Telling me to "move on" (without taking in the full picture), as some people have, can be more damaging.

• It sounds like we like most of the same things actually. I love boy bands, and I love Ed Sheeran. I bought his latest album Autumn Variations the other day after listening to it on Spotify so I'm eagerly awaiting that! I love Would I Lie To You, very funny show. I watch it whenever I can.

I'm glad you have such a good therapist to turn to. My therapist is on maternity and I've got another one for the time being but I'm finding it difficult to open up to her. I think a big part of autism is making mistakes, usually unintentionally, I don't realise it's a mistake until much later on. I hope your therapist continues helping and things get better for you.

• Oh nice! What sort of music and TV shows do you like? I like pop music, mainly boybands and people like Ed Sheeran. I like entertainment like Masked Singer and comedy like Taskmaster and Would I Lie to You.

Things are difficult for me but I'm lucky to have a therapist to work on it with. There's a lot of things which I know I can't place on just anyone. It's not just because I'm autistic but I've made a lot of errors, some particularly big, and I'm just making sure that I don't put myself in that situation again.