Hello, newly diagnosed and overwhelmed!

Hi everyone. I'm Natalie. I found out that I am autistic a few months ago at the age of 36 (although I always felt I was different). I am struggling to understand what this means for me although I am very relieved to have the diagnosis. My main struggles are with sensory stuff - noises, smells and bright lights are awful and I can't go shopping, and trips to cafes or restaurants take a lot of forward planning! I get very overwhelmed by new things, changes to plans and decision making often results in a massive melt down. I'm actually very empathic and am struggling with people assuming that I'm not because I'm autistic.

I love nature, wildlife and birds in particular - I love going birdwatching at my local nature reserves. Any other bird enthusiasts out there? I also love listening to my favourite music, rock and metal but really can't tollerate most other types of music.

I'm hoping to join in discussions here and hopefully learn something.

Parents
  • Hello 

I enjoy watching the birds on the feeder and listening to the dawn chorus. Think they're protecting me. Every year, I do the RSPB bird survey and am waiting for my pack to arrive. There is a local birdhide unfortunately the footpath is full of dogs without leads. I get nervous. Would you like to do this? 2021, most people did this due to the lockdown/tier system. 

Noise when people talk too loud, music volume turns up to the maximum. Got ears like a bat where the slightest noise triggers anxiety. Bright lights as well. 

Tonight is supposed to be the first community group meeting and cancelled. The next one is in two weeks in the afternoon. Advanced warning. 

• Thanks for the welcome Zengarden! I love the dawn chorus too! Yes, I've done the RSPB bird watch survey a few times now, I'd forgotten about it this year so thanks for the reminder. 

Reply Children
No Data