Late diagnosed woman

Good morning!

I was diagnosed earlier this year and thought it’d be a good idea to open up to some likeminded people, as to maybe try and ease my loneliness and also speak with people who may understand my experience.

I’m nearly 30 and have always felt very isolated and alone, as I am high functioning, I have masked all my life and have been very successful in hiding all my traits.

This has led to feelings of shame around who I actually am, which in turn makes the masking even more exhausting as I’m in a constant negative feedback loop that I will only be accepted as long as I present as neurotypical.

I unfortunately, often feel like a bad person, as I don’t connect in the ways I see everyone around me. I’m very blunt and can’t lie to save my life, I never want to hurt anyone’s feelings, but everyone around me seems to be able to have their own opinions and that’s fine, but if I do, I’m an awful person.

I'm exhausted trying to figure out the unwritten rules of humans, I don’t notice hierarchy, I don’t know when it’s a good or bad time to speak in a social setting, I don’t know how to show I care, even though I do deeply, I have been told I come off as cold many times throughout my life.

Sometimes, it just feels like no matter how much I try, it isn’t enough.

I apologise for the more negative post, I’m just feeling very overwhelmed and if anyone has any tips or things that have helped them not be so hard on themselves, I’d really appreciate hearing them.

Parents
  • It gets easier, observe and take notes and you will see patterns. Here you will find support! your in the right place at the fright time! You took the  first step and told some people who understand. My childhood and early adulthood was also very lonely. The single most important thing that helped me was Reichian therapy, but that is not longer offered in most places. the second, which is, is the "Tao Te Ching". I read it over and over and over, still to this day it is fresh and inspiring. also "Journey to Ixtlan" which gave me to understand consciousness as always expanding.

• It gets easier, observe and take notes and you will see patterns. Here you will find support! your in the right place at the fright time! You took the  first step and told some people who understand. My childhood and early adulthood was also very lonely. The single most important thing that helped me was Reichian therapy, but that is not longer offered in most places. the second, which is, is the "Tao Te Ching". I read it over and over and over, still to this day it is fresh and inspiring. also "Journey to Ixtlan" which gave me to understand consciousness as always expanding.

Children