Introductions

Thought I'd say hello.

I'm in my late 40s, self-diagnosed after assessments and research and now waiting for an NHS assessment. In the past I've been diagnosed by professionals as bipolar following meltdowns (I'm not), as well a anxiety and depression (I have neither), before finally realising that people were clearly missing a rather large ASD elephant sitting in the corner of the room waggling his trunk and flapping his ears for attention. 

I live in a tiny village (sometimes called a hamlet) in Cornwall with my wife and dog,  work from home, love nature and I'm a bit of a history obsessive. Very introverted. I'm not a  complete social cripple but I find being with people completely exhausting, likewise noise and bustle. I love living in the country.

So that's me. 

• It sure is youtu.be/diXTLc46X90 That's the third time (a hatrick) I've shared that clip on here today, which is sort of appropriate as it's the NAS comedy event tonight after all (in fact it starts in a few minutes time) Sweat smile claphamgrand.com/.../ Thumbsup

• Hi and welcome, I live in a small village and hopefully moving to Cornwall next year. I’ve been on the waiting list for an assessment for nearly two years, hopefully only 6 months to go.

• I'll take Cornwall or Devon happily too. I like the quiet (although I also miss the sonic boom i heard every night as a child in Cornwall as Concorde let rip over the Atlantic) 

• I've been living here in a rural northern small town for 7 years now. When I first arrived I complimented to a local (diplomatically I thought) that it's a nice, large village. 'How dare you!' they said 'we're a small town'. I've moved around 25 times so far (partly due to me putting my foot in it I guess) including Devon for two periods (I was born there). One of those was a year in a large outpost / small hamlet which comprised of 6 residences in total Upside down

• It certainly is. I couldn't live anywhere else!

• Hello! I'm right on the border in the Tamar Valley
    Hello there from just up the road in a hamlet in Devon

Well, I'm not so far from either of you.

Tis proper 'andsome round these parts.

Ben

• I know Tavi a bit, my sister lived there for a while. You're right on the moor, so lucky! We spent our childhoods on Dartmoor and Bodmin moors... Autistic parents avoiding the crowds Rofl

• Hello! I'm right on the border in the Tamar Valley not far from Tavistock - I can see Devon from my study window. I really love living in this part of world. There was a two year waiting list for assessment in Cornwall when I was placed on the list just over a year ago. 

• Hello Mart, 

Welcome to the forum. 

I don't live in a village, although there is one within walking distance, more or less! 

I hope you'll enjoy your time here Blush 

• Hello there from just up the road in a hamlet in Devon. I had a similar history of diagnosis and finally got the ASD +ADHD one last year. I wish I'd done more research before the assessment cos I'm sure I meet PDA criteria and if I'd known then I'd have asked. I too find people exhausting. I live alone with a dog and cat and also love the countryside. Cornwall is lovely, I lived there as a child. 

• Hello Mart, welcome to the forum.

I also live in a village and welcome the peace and space.

Like you, I have been diagnosed with a variety of things until, at 67, I got a correct assessment of ASC.

It took a while to get used to it, but at last I understand my past and know just who I am.

I am Ben

• HI Mart - welcome!

I think that its not that uncommon for us to be misdiagnosed with anxiety, depression and a whole raft of other things.
    Do they (the medical profession) really understand the mental health side of things? I'm not convinced.

Likewise, I did self assessments and plenty of research in the many months prior to my diagnosis, yet it still really hit me when it was confirmed that I am autistic. By all means continue your research, in fact I encourage you to do so, but I would be wary of thinking that you are prepared for that day.

I'd love to live in a village or somewhere out of town.
    Where I live at the moment (and for the majority of my life) used to be a lovely traditional market town. That was before massive population increase, ridiculous levels of building new estates, lack of investment in infrastructure and service to support the growth.
    I guess that's pretty much most towns in England described down to tee!

Despite my ever growing dislike of where I live and the [frequent] discussions my wife and I have about moving away to somewhere quieter, my autistic trait of not liking change kicks in!