Introductions

Thought I'd say hello.

I'm in my late 40s, self-diagnosed after assessments and research and now waiting for an NHS assessment. In the past I've been diagnosed by professionals as bipolar following meltdowns (I'm not), as well a anxiety and depression (I have neither), before finally realising that people were clearly missing a rather large ASD elephant sitting in the corner of the room waggling his trunk and flapping his ears for attention. 

I live in a tiny village (sometimes called a hamlet) in Cornwall with my wife and dog,  work from home, love nature and I'm a bit of a history obsessive. Very introverted. I'm not a  complete social cripple but I find being with people completely exhausting, likewise noise and bustle. I love living in the country.

So that's me. 

Parents
  • HI Mart - welcome!

I think that its not that uncommon for us to be misdiagnosed with anxiety, depression and a whole raft of other things.
    Do they (the medical profession) really understand the mental health side of things? I'm not convinced.

Likewise, I did self assessments and plenty of research in the many months prior to my diagnosis, yet it still really hit me when it was confirmed that I am autistic. By all means continue your research, in fact I encourage you to do so, but I would be wary of thinking that you are prepared for that day.

I'd love to live in a village or somewhere out of town.
    Where I live at the moment (and for the majority of my life) used to be a lovely traditional market town. That was before massive population increase, ridiculous levels of building new estates, lack of investment in infrastructure and service to support the growth.
    I guess that's pretty much most towns in England described down to tee!

Despite my ever growing dislike of where I live and the [frequent] discussions my wife and I have about moving away to somewhere quieter, my autistic trait of not liking change kicks in! 

• HI Mart - welcome!

I think that its not that uncommon for us to be misdiagnosed with anxiety, depression and a whole raft of other things.
    Do they (the medical profession) really understand the mental health side of things? I'm not convinced.

Likewise, I did self assessments and plenty of research in the many months prior to my diagnosis, yet it still really hit me when it was confirmed that I am autistic. By all means continue your research, in fact I encourage you to do so, but I would be wary of thinking that you are prepared for that day.

I'd love to live in a village or somewhere out of town.
    Where I live at the moment (and for the majority of my life) used to be a lovely traditional market town. That was before massive population increase, ridiculous levels of building new estates, lack of investment in infrastructure and service to support the growth.
    I guess that's pretty much most towns in England described down to tee!

Despite my ever growing dislike of where I live and the [frequent] discussions my wife and I have about moving away to somewhere quieter, my autistic trait of not liking change kicks in! 

Children
No Data