Late diagnosis

Hi, 

I have struggled with my mental health for decades. I had been diagnosed with treatment resistant depression as it seemed no amount of SSRI/ SNRI CBT etc was of any benefit. It wasn't until last year that a phycologist asked if anyone had discussed that I may be autistic, obviously I was a little surprised as I hadn't considered it (thinking back I shouldn't have been that surprised).

I'm now on the waiting list for a formal diagnosis (3-5 year waiting list).

After a bit of research and self discovery I'm of the opinion that I am indeed autistic and that a weight has become less of a burden.

I struggle with stress and it massively impacts my daily life. My GP has suggested that I go back into antidepressants but I'm very reluctant as I've never found them to be beneficial. I try mindfulness/meditation but I find it difficult to quieten/slow my mind. I've asked my GP about pregabalin but they will not prescribe it.

I'm feeling as I'm at a bit of an impasse.

Any suggestions or questions I could ask would be gratefully received.

Parents
  • I find it difficult to quieten/slow my mind.

Oh yes.  Abso-fooking-lutely.

The thing that has helped me with managing this (believe it or not)..... is to NOT try to slow it nor impede my mind....I just let it run, but in a way that I attempt to manage.  So rather than trying to "block" my brain, I now do one of two things, depending on my situation at the time and my mood.

It was actually another member on this forum (now sadly a former member) who put me in touch with these methods.  

Option 1 = I fill and immerse my brain in something so completely that there is no spare capacity in my brain because I have provided it with an overflowing plate of mind food (of my choosing.)   Needless to say, this method has its own challenges and pitfalls.....but a change is as good as a rest !  Thankfully, I do love my work and I also love to work....so normally, it will be work that I use with this method generally.  I also find that "jamming in" a repetitive piece of music or a track on repeat also helps me be so full in my head that disruptive thoughts and distractions simply cannot get a look in.   

Option 2 = I allow every random thought and concious stream to enter my head.  As it does so, I "greet it" i.e. I give it a very short amount of concious attention to decide whether it is relevant in that moment - irrespective of what the answer is to this short burst of concious attention, I "thank it" for coming to my attention, but advise it that now is not the time for it, and I simply say "goodbye" to that thought.

Now I know that option 2 sounds a bit waa waa - but honestly, it has helped me at times of potential overwhelm.  I find that talking out loud to myself when I greet, assess, thank and then say goodbye to each thought helps me to process them promptly.

I am pretty sure that the Option 2 method has a "name" - but I cannot remember what right now.

Anyway - I just thought I would "pass forward" this idea to you in the hope that it may be of some use to you.

I wish you well - and I extend you a warm welcome to this place.

Kind regards

Number.

• I find it difficult to quieten/slow my mind.

Oh yes.  Abso-fooking-lutely.

The thing that has helped me with managing this (believe it or not)..... is to NOT try to slow it nor impede my mind....I just let it run, but in a way that I attempt to manage.  So rather than trying to "block" my brain, I now do one of two things, depending on my situation at the time and my mood.

It was actually another member on this forum (now sadly a former member) who put me in touch with these methods.  

Option 1 = I fill and immerse my brain in something so completely that there is no spare capacity in my brain because I have provided it with an overflowing plate of mind food (of my choosing.)   Needless to say, this method has its own challenges and pitfalls.....but a change is as good as a rest !  Thankfully, I do love my work and I also love to work....so normally, it will be work that I use with this method generally.  I also find that "jamming in" a repetitive piece of music or a track on repeat also helps me be so full in my head that disruptive thoughts and distractions simply cannot get a look in.   

Option 2 = I allow every random thought and concious stream to enter my head.  As it does so, I "greet it" i.e. I give it a very short amount of concious attention to decide whether it is relevant in that moment - irrespective of what the answer is to this short burst of concious attention, I "thank it" for coming to my attention, but advise it that now is not the time for it, and I simply say "goodbye" to that thought.

Now I know that option 2 sounds a bit waa waa - but honestly, it has helped me at times of potential overwhelm.  I find that talking out loud to myself when I greet, assess, thank and then say goodbye to each thought helps me to process them promptly.

I am pretty sure that the Option 2 method has a "name" - but I cannot remember what right now.

Anyway - I just thought I would "pass forward" this idea to you in the hope that it may be of some use to you.

I wish you well - and I extend you a warm welcome to this place.

Kind regards

Number.

Children
No Data