Daughter starting university

Hi - new here!

My daughter has autism and ADHD and is starting university next week.  So far, the support from the university has been good and she is really excited about going, although nervous about the social aspects.   If any of you have advice or tips for her (and me!), that would be great.

Parents
  • Hi! For me going to university made things so much easier socially! I made friends for the first time ever as I met likeminded people. I didn’t know I was autistic at the time but I did know that there was something different about me. My main advice would be to be yourself. I thought I had to try and be all social in freshers week and I even went on a pub crawl (first and last one ever in my life)- but this is just not for me- I don’t drink I don’t like parties or big group social events and I soon realised this was fine. I made most of my friends through my course or through going to talks (i love science). I did withdraw rather a lot in my room, and later on I sometimes felt like I should have maybe tried to meet some more people (as I actually ended up becoming friends with some people from my undergrad after graduating and I had met them first in freshers week, liked them but then somehow never really saw them much. But at least we did become friends eventually). It’s a balance- I think it’s really important to not overstretch yourself socially but doing things sometimes where you can meet people (eg. join a society about something you are interested in or drop that person that seems nice a message and see if they want to go for coffee or a walk together etc) is also a good idea even if it takes some courage. Not sure if any of this is helpful- I am actually a PhD student now. I wasn’t  a student for 1.5 years after my masters and it is definitely easier socially whilst at university- at least for me. 
    I think your daughter has an exciting time ahead!!

in terms of support from university I would encourage her to accept whatever they can offer- I didn’t have a diagnosis in my bachelor and masters but I do now and I have been able to access support (eg. Mentoring etc). And if anything is challenging, it’s a good idea to reach out early on- there are often a lot of things that can be done to help! 
    best of luck to your daughter- I hope it works out !! 

• Hi! For me going to university made things so much easier socially! I made friends for the first time ever as I met likeminded people. I didn’t know I was autistic at the time but I did know that there was something different about me. My main advice would be to be yourself. I thought I had to try and be all social in freshers week and I even went on a pub crawl (first and last one ever in my life)- but this is just not for me- I don’t drink I don’t like parties or big group social events and I soon realised this was fine. I made most of my friends through my course or through going to talks (i love science). I did withdraw rather a lot in my room, and later on I sometimes felt like I should have maybe tried to meet some more people (as I actually ended up becoming friends with some people from my undergrad after graduating and I had met them first in freshers week, liked them but then somehow never really saw them much. But at least we did become friends eventually). It’s a balance- I think it’s really important to not overstretch yourself socially but doing things sometimes where you can meet people (eg. join a society about something you are interested in or drop that person that seems nice a message and see if they want to go for coffee or a walk together etc) is also a good idea even if it takes some courage. Not sure if any of this is helpful- I am actually a PhD student now. I wasn’t  a student for 1.5 years after my masters and it is definitely easier socially whilst at university- at least for me. 
    I think your daughter has an exciting time ahead!!

in terms of support from university I would encourage her to accept whatever they can offer- I didn’t have a diagnosis in my bachelor and masters but I do now and I have been able to access support (eg. Mentoring etc). And if anything is challenging, it’s a good idea to reach out early on- there are often a lot of things that can be done to help! 
    best of luck to your daughter- I hope it works out !! 

Children
No Data