Post diagnostic counselling

A brief review of the posts here suggests there is a theme about the dearth of specific mainstream/NHS support for autistic adults in getting adjusted and adjustment to things after diagnosis later in life.

Age 58 I was diagnosed as autistic last year.

So, guess what I came to this site to look for?  :-)

Even if this were available it makes sense to me that the best counselors will be from within this community - as they have lived experience of it.

It would be lovely to have a simple one step at a time process to things after diagnosis.

Seems though that it's not that simple.  There's a whole lot of stuff that seems to flood out when the dam bursts.

Perhaps re-interpreting and reconsidering all the "masking" that one might have been using is part of the process of self discovery in the early phase?

What sort of priorities have other members found greatest in the early post diagnosis phase please?

Can you share how you found to address them?

Parents
  • Hi how's it going? 

I was diagnosed a week ago and I have felt a range of things since that moment. 

At first I was elated - after a year of waiting it was all over! And I had an answer! I wasn't hoping for one answer or another, just A answer and now I had it and I can move on. That night I was desperate to celebrate, I wanted to parrrrtay - many wines were drunk. 

But then the next few days as it sunk in I felt quite deflated, and then quite remorseful? I think I was feeling sad for past-me. And all the struggle I've had to endure to this point and the sense that all of this was preventable. 

Now I have told all my nearest and dearest + work and everything is ticking along as necessary I am just sort of getting on with it. I have this forum and a Facebook group for women with autism to share thoughts and ideas with. I also have a private therapist who I see twice a month. In hindsight, the smart thing to do would have been to book in with her soon after the diagnosis but I missed my chance so I'll see her later this week. 

It is a bit crazy that there isn't more help out there, you're just left to figure it out on your own...

• Hi how's it going? 

I was diagnosed a week ago and I have felt a range of things since that moment. 

At first I was elated - after a year of waiting it was all over! And I had an answer! I wasn't hoping for one answer or another, just A answer and now I had it and I can move on. That night I was desperate to celebrate, I wanted to parrrrtay - many wines were drunk. 

But then the next few days as it sunk in I felt quite deflated, and then quite remorseful? I think I was feeling sad for past-me. And all the struggle I've had to endure to this point and the sense that all of this was preventable. 

Now I have told all my nearest and dearest + work and everything is ticking along as necessary I am just sort of getting on with it. I have this forum and a Facebook group for women with autism to share thoughts and ideas with. I also have a private therapist who I see twice a month. In hindsight, the smart thing to do would have been to book in with her soon after the diagnosis but I missed my chance so I'll see her later this week. 

It is a bit crazy that there isn't more help out there, you're just left to figure it out on your own...

Children
  • Hi Autumn Trees - great name choice!

Hmmm... going ok today thanks :-)

Yes, celebrate and regret.  Recognise that cycle.

Remorse? yep I get that - like going over episodes of an old detective series where someone dies :-)

Preventable? How so I wonder... Perhaps an earlier diagnosis and a more compatible culture and society?

Great to learn that you're ticking along with things.  It took me over 6 months getting to this conversation and I'm not quite ticking over smoothly yet so I can look forward to it.  

Yes crazy indeed that there isn't more help. I may be a bit biased, but the autistic people I have encountered so far are all pretty fab with so much to contribute.  So it seems a shame that we're not cared about better.

The response to my introductory post seems to indicate that there are ways to find out advice.  Best from fellow people with autism. 

Maybe having to figure it out for oneself comes with being autistic?

All the best