Discovering myself (in my 50's)

My journey to discovery began last week, when a friend suggested I may be on the spectrum and after researching I am convinced.

Aside from some other obvious traits I often feel what others feel and often it overwhelms me. Although I am getting better over the years, it can take days to recover. I struggle to work in an office as I feel too overloaded by noises, lights, emotions, it’s like I have no filter and I am looking at people wondering what super-powers they have that they can just tune it all out..!?

I honestly feel that now I have had my eyes opened – that I am happy. I was buzzing today knowing that I may not be the only person and that there are others out there that “get me” or maybe experience some of the challenges I do. Also, I feel very lucky that I can function out there.

BIG WAVE to all

Parents
  • I struggle to work in an office as I feel too overloaded by noises, lights, emotions

If it is impacting you at work then I strongly recommend getting an official diagnosis and present this to the HR team at work so they can make "reasonable accommodations" for your autism to allow you to work in a less stressful environment.

This is enshrined in law now that autism is classed as a disability, so you can get them to adapt the lighting, allow you to wear headphones more or introduce sound deadening materials etc.

For the empath / emoution overloads I would recommend getting a therapist with experience of working with empaths like you who can recommend ways to manage this.

Welcome to the club.

• I struggle to work in an office as I feel too overloaded by noises, lights, emotions

If it is impacting you at work then I strongly recommend getting an official diagnosis and present this to the HR team at work so they can make "reasonable accommodations" for your autism to allow you to work in a less stressful environment.

This is enshrined in law now that autism is classed as a disability, so you can get them to adapt the lighting, allow you to wear headphones more or introduce sound deadening materials etc.

For the empath / emoution overloads I would recommend getting a therapist with experience of working with empaths like you who can recommend ways to manage this.

Welcome to the club.

Children