Recently diagnosed, completely lacking social interactions

Hi,

I am Mark (preferred name not real) and I am 23. I was diagnosed with ASD couple of months ago. Don't know how to react to it.

No matter how badly I want, I can't keep friends or be in a relationship. I don't know what I am doing wrong. 

I like watching films, mostly horror and action. I like listening to music, Led Zeppelin, The Beatles, Madonna, ABBA, etc.

I was told this is a great place to connect with people.

Parents
  • Mark.

I do a zoom film night every Sunday that no one from here comes to.

It was designed exactly for people like yourself to provide a potential social experience or at worst just enjoy the film. 

The idea was that anyone from here could join anonymously (I.E. camera and microphone switched OFF, enjoy the film, listen to any conversation, and join in if they felt motivated so to do). 

A BIG part of making friends is shared activities (the book recommendation I Give in my bio, lays it all out for you like a "haynes manual" of human relationships) and simply watching a film every week with a bunch of people, even if you don't know what to say most of the time, is way better than sitting alone in your room. 

Autism makes it hard to instinctively do the right thing, (effing impossible some days!) for us that means extra book learning and work is required.

You've missed the Robocop trilogy and a LOT of Stanley Kubrick, but I've still got Starship troopers 2 & three to air, plus 2001...

There's always a way you can make things slightly better for yourself and/or for someone else, but you need to grow the skills yourself, all we can do is point you in the right direction as we have found it.

I can easily pass as non-Autistic, (fooled myself for fifty nine ears) but despite scoring quite highly, I was lucky enough to be able to grow some social skills. I did it by watching and reading good books and talking to the few people who'd give me the time of day, but it really took off in my twenties when I read that "how it works" of human relations book. For you it might be a different book that gives you what you need, but what you need is out there, (or even on this forum) I am certain of that.

• Mark.

I do a zoom film night every Sunday that no one from here comes to.

It was designed exactly for people like yourself to provide a potential social experience or at worst just enjoy the film. 

The idea was that anyone from here could join anonymously (I.E. camera and microphone switched OFF, enjoy the film, listen to any conversation, and join in if they felt motivated so to do). 

A BIG part of making friends is shared activities (the book recommendation I Give in my bio, lays it all out for you like a "haynes manual" of human relationships) and simply watching a film every week with a bunch of people, even if you don't know what to say most of the time, is way better than sitting alone in your room. 

Autism makes it hard to instinctively do the right thing, (effing impossible some days!) for us that means extra book learning and work is required.

You've missed the Robocop trilogy and a LOT of Stanley Kubrick, but I've still got Starship troopers 2 & three to air, plus 2001...

There's always a way you can make things slightly better for yourself and/or for someone else, but you need to grow the skills yourself, all we can do is point you in the right direction as we have found it.

I can easily pass as non-Autistic, (fooled myself for fifty nine ears) but despite scoring quite highly, I was lucky enough to be able to grow some social skills. I did it by watching and reading good books and talking to the few people who'd give me the time of day, but it really took off in my twenties when I read that "how it works" of human relations book. For you it might be a different book that gives you what you need, but what you need is out there, (or even on this forum) I am certain of that.

Children
No Data