Newly diagnosed aged 55 (female)

Hi, I’ve just been diagnosed with ASD and I’m feeling completely overwhelmed. Is this usual?
It’s been nine years since I first presented for assessment -  at that time I was thought to have complex trauma and ended up taking part in two years of group psychotherapy. I started the assessment process again 18 months ago as I was struggling with so much.. Following the assessment I was initially told I only partially met the criteria however, there were issues in the diagnostic process and a second opinion from within my mental health team suggested that I might have ASD after all. I have finally been diagnosed and I don’t know what to feel, I’m even wondering whether it could be wrong given my earlier experiences. I’ve also had to take some time off work because I feel so exhausted but feel very guilty about it. Any tips on getting through these first few weeks? Thank you Blush 

Parents
  • I think I understand what you may be feeling. Age 66, I too am recently diagnosed, and also with some traumatic life events, that meant I have had years of psychotherapy and medication and lengthy periods off work. This made me feel guilty and a fraud, like you.

After a discussion with a friend, and some research, a few months ago, while in consultation with my GP about my mental health,  I tentatively suggested that I might be autistic. She agreed and requested a formal diagnosis. The mental health team are treating me as if I had a formal diagnosis.

I have spent a lot of time recently reviewing my life. I find definite pointers to autism, but also many incidents that cause NTs as well as NDs significant trauma. I sometimes think that being ND and masking as second nature, led to me "coping" better with trauma better than some NTs.

Having a late diagnosis means that we have a lot of life experiences "interfering" with classic autistic traits.

Firstly, try not to feel guilty. You need a break from outside stresses. Try to eat healthily, take some exercise and get plenty of sleep. Do something you enjoy every day. I consider getting better from exhaustion and stress is work in itself and you have a lot to absorb for which you need time. 

Then you might try what I have done but not if it is too stressful. Very roughly, in note form, I have roughed out key life events annotated with what I remember people saying or telling me about them, or what I remember. if they appear to have a bearing on being autistic. I have skipped the significantly traumatic events. Many of the difficulties I have had now make sense. This has helped me to come to terms with my diagnosis, and differentiate between autism and trauma.

• I think I understand what you may be feeling. Age 66, I too am recently diagnosed, and also with some traumatic life events, that meant I have had years of psychotherapy and medication and lengthy periods off work. This made me feel guilty and a fraud, like you.

After a discussion with a friend, and some research, a few months ago, while in consultation with my GP about my mental health,  I tentatively suggested that I might be autistic. She agreed and requested a formal diagnosis. The mental health team are treating me as if I had a formal diagnosis.

I have spent a lot of time recently reviewing my life. I find definite pointers to autism, but also many incidents that cause NTs as well as NDs significant trauma. I sometimes think that being ND and masking as second nature, led to me "coping" better with trauma better than some NTs.

Having a late diagnosis means that we have a lot of life experiences "interfering" with classic autistic traits.

Firstly, try not to feel guilty. You need a break from outside stresses. Try to eat healthily, take some exercise and get plenty of sleep. Do something you enjoy every day. I consider getting better from exhaustion and stress is work in itself and you have a lot to absorb for which you need time. 

Then you might try what I have done but not if it is too stressful. Very roughly, in note form, I have roughed out key life events annotated with what I remember people saying or telling me about them, or what I remember. if they appear to have a bearing on being autistic. I have skipped the significantly traumatic events. Many of the difficulties I have had now make sense. This has helped me to come to terms with my diagnosis, and differentiate between autism and trauma.

Children
No Data