Hi?

Hello, sorry, I'm very new to forums as it were (I've looked at a few, but litteraly never tried to participate)

I'll admit, I don't know if I'm autistic, but I have strong suspicions that I might be and am trying to get a guage on weather or not I should be seriously looking at getting assesed.

sorry if this is the wrong place for that, if it is just let me know and I'll go

• thanks, that helps me see a way I might be able to try.

also, I've seen it mentioned a few times that diagnosis has it's pros and cons, but no one ever seems to mention what the cons are. I mean it doesn't exactly sound like a fun prosses to go through, but beyond that, what are the downsides?

• I thought I would never be able to talk to my GP about it. Then I was having a crisis and made a GP appointment and said to the receptionist it that was about anxiety (you aren't obliged to tell the receptionist details). It was a telephone appointment and I pretty much said "I am very anxious and I think it's because I'm autistic.". Then I just did yes/no answers because I couldn't manage to say anything else. It was a good GP and he told me how to self-refer to an assessment. No-one ever asked how a diagnosis would benefit me. If they did, I would have said because I am obsessing over it and need to know so I can stop going crazy questioning myself. Diagnosis has pros/cons, but it did at least help me get to know myself better, after it sunk in (which took about a year or more...). It is a valid reason, to want to understand yourself. And for me there have been some other benefits, like coursework extensions at uni, and people like my supervisor being aware that some stuff is unusually hard for me (like interviews/ communication in the team).

• Welcome! This is definitely a great place to learn more about everything autism, for me it really helped when I asked my GP for a referral as a middle-aged adult women and what to ask for under the Right to Choose to go with a different autism assessment service with shorter waits. I'm waiting on my assessment at the moment so I'm in the suspecting I'm autistic with no diagnosis category as well.

• Hi, thanks for the advice, I just looked up the AQ50 and it turns out I've done a that befor, and a few others, they all say that I probably am, but that obviusly they're not a formal diagnosis. I don't think I'ld actualy be able to talk to my gp abuot it, I would approch with the best intentions, but when it comes to actualy talking about it I tend to bottle out and just say what I need to leave the sittuation. not to mention I really don't have a clue how a diagnosis would benefit me, it kind of just feels like the done thing, and I don't really feel comfortable self diagnosing, I've never really been sure enough of anything going on in my head to make any real claims about it.

• Just gonna tack this onto your  reply if you don't mind Dawn since it's related to what you just said and it would be good to keep all this info together.

Another one to do is the RAADs test to go along with the AQ50.
    "The Ritvo Autism Asperger Diagnostic Scale–Revised (RAADS–R) is a self-report questionnaire designed to identify adult autistics who “escape diagnosis” due to a subclinical level presentation."
    Test link:
    https://embrace-autism.com/raads-r/#test

Hope that helps.

• Oh right place for that.  I'd start with an AQ50.  You should find plenty for free online.

Then, if that and good old trip down the research rabbit hole leads you to the belief that you might be autistic, you have a choice.  Self-identify - good enough for us and not everyone wants the stress of an assessment, or go to your GP with your AQ50 and a list of reasons why you think you are autistic and how a diagnosis would benefit you and ask for a referral for an assessment. You'll be in for a long wait on the NHS mind.

Meanwhile, welcome.  Got questions?  We here to help

• Hope you enjoy your stay. 

I got diagnosed as a kid; wasn't today, or yesterday. Life came crashing down, on me, as a young man. Now, I'm picking up the pieces. 

• Hi Slight smile

welcome! It’s ok, I came on here before I got a diagnosis, but I have a diagnosis. Everyone is very friendly and welcoming on here in my experience. I’ve always found it really nice to talk to people on here who understand what it’s like to have many autistic traits etc. 

I find it to be a very supportive and non judgemental community. Sun with face

• thank you so much, I've just been browsing around for a little while and everyone seems to be really nice, but I'm still finding it really hard to think that anything I have to say would be worth hearing, so I'm still not contributing to anything, but I think I might hang around and try to work on that.

• Where better than here for you to see how much you're like autistic people? ..and also that there's just a tiny huge amount of variance in what we're like.

Welcome to here anyway. I hope you find it helpful in whatever your next step is, whether that's going towards an assessment or being cool with just leaving it at probably autistic or deciding actually you don't think so after all. Life is a wonderful box of surprises.

• Hi, welcome to the forum, don't worry we have self-diagnosed folks and those awaiting assessment here too. I'm a classic childhood diagnosis from the dark ages of assessments myself lol, but IMO if you relate to the autistic experience then you're perfectly valid being here and getting advice and being part of the community.