Recently diagnosed at 31

Hi everyone,

I’m a 31 year old women who has been diagnosed with ASD last week. I was given the report by my psychiatrist and then left to it. 

I’m struggling to know how to process, integrate and understand the news. I also have no idea how to share this with my family. 

I would really appreciate any advice on resources, and support for this early stage of understanding myself. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance 

Parents
  • What learning style suits you - reading, watching, listening? There are many recommendations to be made but I've learned it's best to start with understanding your way of taking in information to avoid wasting time and energy trying to learn about something the way that doesn't suit you, e.g. recommending books when you don't take in information best from reading just adds to the overwhelm. 

I'm sorry your diagnosis wasn't handled sensitively. Remember that you have always been who you are, it's just it's been given a label now and it's your choice now how to proceed with that. 

I’m struggling to know how to process, integrate and understand the news

This is autism. Processing information and understanding information/input is exactly what lived experience of autism is. The struggle is part of being autistic. Processing takes time. Allow yourself to feel the feelings without judgement. The needing to know is autistic. There isn't a rule for how you get from hearing a diagnosis to understanding and accepting it. Also, you seem to have got diagnosis without seeking it? Therefore maybe you were unprepared, which makes a big difference to how ready you are to take on this identity. 

• Very sound advice. I know there isn’t a rule for this, but I really wish there was!

I learn best mostly through reading, but I’m also a very visual learner too. 

I originally sort out a diagnosis for ADHD (I may have both), but the psychiatrist said my history was more inline with autism, so we went ahead with that assessment. I have been quietly aware of autistic traits for several months now, so it’s not a complete surprise 

• Very sound advice. I know there isn’t a rule for this, but I really wish there was!

I learn best mostly through reading, but I’m also a very visual learner too. 

I originally sort out a diagnosis for ADHD (I may have both), but the psychiatrist said my history was more inline with autism, so we went ahead with that assessment. I have been quietly aware of autistic traits for several months now, so it’s not a complete surprise 

Children
No Data