Recently diagnosed at 31

Hi everyone,

I’m a 31 year old women who has been diagnosed with ASD last week. I was given the report by my psychiatrist and then left to it. 

I’m struggling to know how to process, integrate and understand the news. I also have no idea how to share this with my family. 

I would really appreciate any advice on resources, and support for this early stage of understanding myself. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance 

Parents
  • Unfortunately, this is the usual state of affairs. It will get easier with time. The first months or even year or two after diagnosis can be a challenging time of reassessing your entire life and personal history in the light of the diagnosis. Hang on in there, it does get easier.

I would use the "newly diagnosed" tag here to read other people's experiences. I'm currently reading An Adult with an Autism Diagnosis by Gillan Drew which has some helpful points for me even two years after diagnosis. I think it explicitly deals with who to tell and how to tell them. The Complete Guide to Asperger's Syndrome by Tony Attwood is also useful for general information that will help you understand yourself better.

• Unfortunately, this is the usual state of affairs. It will get easier with time. The first months or even year or two after diagnosis can be a challenging time of reassessing your entire life and personal history in the light of the diagnosis. Hang on in there, it does get easier.

I would use the "newly diagnosed" tag here to read other people's experiences. I'm currently reading An Adult with an Autism Diagnosis by Gillan Drew which has some helpful points for me even two years after diagnosis. I think it explicitly deals with who to tell and how to tell them. The Complete Guide to Asperger's Syndrome by Tony Attwood is also useful for general information that will help you understand yourself better.

Children