Female and diagnosed at almost 58 years old

Hi

I was diagnosed three weeks ago with Level 1 autism/Asperger’s Syndrome.  My son had his diagnosis when he was a teenager and is now aged 30.

I have mixed feelings about it as it answers many questions on the difficulties I have always faced in my social interactions but I also feel hopeless and less inclined to try.

I would love to hear from other women who have had a diagnosis later in their lives and how they are coping. 

Parents
  • I was diagnosed around the same age as you. I hated it for a whole year because I had such a successful life that I had no idea how hard I had to try. Shocking,I know,but it did not explain anything to me. I am happy to be diagnosed because the neurologist was looking for dementia or Alzheimer's,and autism seemed a reasonable alternative. Now I hate it again because it prevents me from discussing my health issues and now,six years after my diagnosis I have a number of other long term conditions,some co-morbid with autism and some that neurotypicals will have. It is very difficult to be disabled and autistic. It is very difficult to be neurotypical and disabled - time they called it differently able.Autism,even at our level is only a big issue if we struggle with proprioception and other inner senses,as well as health issues and ageing. If you are able to maintain your health and age in a way that does not impact on your mobility your autism will be a positive bonus to your life. Sometimes effort is a really big deal. I trust the rest of your journey is a positive one.

• I was diagnosed around the same age as you. I hated it for a whole year because I had such a successful life that I had no idea how hard I had to try. Shocking,I know,but it did not explain anything to me. I am happy to be diagnosed because the neurologist was looking for dementia or Alzheimer's,and autism seemed a reasonable alternative. Now I hate it again because it prevents me from discussing my health issues and now,six years after my diagnosis I have a number of other long term conditions,some co-morbid with autism and some that neurotypicals will have. It is very difficult to be disabled and autistic. It is very difficult to be neurotypical and disabled - time they called it differently able.Autism,even at our level is only a big issue if we struggle with proprioception and other inner senses,as well as health issues and ageing. If you are able to maintain your health and age in a way that does not impact on your mobility your autism will be a positive bonus to your life. Sometimes effort is a really big deal. I trust the rest of your journey is a positive one.

Children
No Data