Female and diagnosed at almost 58 years old

Hi

I was diagnosed three weeks ago with Level 1 autism/Asperger’s Syndrome.  My son had his diagnosis when he was a teenager and is now aged 30.

I have mixed feelings about it as it answers many questions on the difficulties I have always faced in my social interactions but I also feel hopeless and less inclined to try.

I would love to hear from other women who have had a diagnosis later in their lives and how they are coping. 

Parents
  • Hi I'm 55 and grateful to have found this thread . I'm not diagnosed but may I ask how long it took people to get diagnosed. A late friend said to me I was aspergers and I dismissed it immediately but the more they talked about it the more I said 'yes I do that' . I don't have ''friends'' as this has always been difficult. But the whole thing has made me question from childhood to adulthood and why I've always felt like an outsider. From school through to work life. I can't see me from 'over there' if I'm 'sitting here' if that makes sense? It's really made me question 'who I am' which is quite a confusing time. 

• Hi. Unfortunately people can be on NHS waiting lists for diagnosis for a long time. It would maybe be worth speaking to your Dr to ask them what it's like in your area. I had been fortunate enough to have been able to go privately, which made things much easier.

• Hi. Unfortunately people can be on NHS waiting lists for diagnosis for a long time. It would maybe be worth speaking to your Dr to ask them what it's like in your area. I had been fortunate enough to have been able to go privately, which made things much easier.

Children
No Data