Female and diagnosed at almost 58 years old

Hi

I was diagnosed three weeks ago with Level 1 autism/Asperger’s Syndrome.  My son had his diagnosis when he was a teenager and is now aged 30.

I have mixed feelings about it as it answers many questions on the difficulties I have always faced in my social interactions but I also feel hopeless and less inclined to try.

I would love to hear from other women who have had a diagnosis later in their lives and how they are coping. 

Parents
  • Hi Elyssa

I'm 64 and was diagnosed a few weeks ago. I had been diagnosed with dyslexia a couple of years ago and a colleague had suggested that I also get an assessment for autism. I finally got around to it and now here I am!

A diagnosis of anything simply gives you something to look into, to gain information from that may or may not be useful to you. The most important thing that you can do is to work towards accepting yourself and the only way that this can be achieved is to show kindness to yourself. Hopefully you can practice doing this as you move forward with your life.

• Hi Elyssa

I'm 64 and was diagnosed a few weeks ago. I had been diagnosed with dyslexia a couple of years ago and a colleague had suggested that I also get an assessment for autism. I finally got around to it and now here I am!

A diagnosis of anything simply gives you something to look into, to gain information from that may or may not be useful to you. The most important thing that you can do is to work towards accepting yourself and the only way that this can be achieved is to show kindness to yourself. Hopefully you can practice doing this as you move forward with your life.

Children
No Data