The Journey of I, Dream, the man...

Content Removed By: Author

Parents
  • Oh goodness no, IntenseWorld. I hate that kind of lecturer. I always worked hard at the scripts (lesson plans) to make lectures as diverse and challenging and interesting as possible, and tried to be theatrical. I don't think anyone has any right to drone on and on about their favourite subject, though I know lecturers that do. I also think it is unfair to give monologues, or read from a script. You might as well just put your text on line and let them read it in their own time.

One downside though (and I know I'm drifting off Dream's thread) is that students on the spectrum often didn't like my lecturing style because of my breaks in the flow. Some of them wanted a consistent monologue. I would be interesting to know if any readers of this on the spectrum had similar concerns about lecturing/teaching style.

However I was always very conscious of students falling asleep - there are warning signs (heads tilting back or drooping, distracting fidgeting, too many mobiles being used for games). Therefore I usually stage managed some deviation, with a care to not letting them hijack the subject matter. But it was useful to let them think they had some control, as that keeps them attentive.

• Oh goodness no, IntenseWorld. I hate that kind of lecturer. I always worked hard at the scripts (lesson plans) to make lectures as diverse and challenging and interesting as possible, and tried to be theatrical. I don't think anyone has any right to drone on and on about their favourite subject, though I know lecturers that do. I also think it is unfair to give monologues, or read from a script. You might as well just put your text on line and let them read it in their own time.

One downside though (and I know I'm drifting off Dream's thread) is that students on the spectrum often didn't like my lecturing style because of my breaks in the flow. Some of them wanted a consistent monologue. I would be interesting to know if any readers of this on the spectrum had similar concerns about lecturing/teaching style.

However I was always very conscious of students falling asleep - there are warning signs (heads tilting back or drooping, distracting fidgeting, too many mobiles being used for games). Therefore I usually stage managed some deviation, with a care to not letting them hijack the subject matter. But it was useful to let them think they had some control, as that keeps them attentive.

Children
No Data