Just want to introduce myself

Hello all, this is my first ever time in a chat room. Not very computer savvy. But I want to say hi as a newbie. 
last year I was diagnosed with ASC at the age of 39. It came as no surprise to me but it still hit me like a train the grief of the past young girl who struggled/ still struggles in life and trying navigate the world. I was also assessed with  Dyslexia at the age of 21 after years and years of struggle. So that’s created a lot of hangout but last year I completed a Master degree which was an believable achievement for me. But even though I am classed as “high functioning” I still struggle greatly with every day life. I get so overwhelmed by people, places and become angry, frustration  which leads to burnout. But what’s worst we are meant to me more aware in society about ASC,  bit I found that when I told people about my diagnosis that it was largely negative reactions. people will change how they speak to me in a much louder and slower voice which is so irritating, I know they want to help but I don’t need you to be louder!! Things are too loud as it is. (Haha). But anyway I am here to speak to like minded people and see how you guys all feel about ASC life and how you manage social anxiety and social acceptances and the world (ha,ha). 

• Hey, thank you for your reply. I am glad you have an understanding G.P. I have been on anxiety meds for a number of years but unfortunately doesn’t really work for me. 
    I am the same I work in a high school and love the freedom that it brings with the school holidays. 

i love to study and research as well but never heard of Aucademy will definitely check in out. 

I live in the U.K West Yorkshire, do you know of any groups etc in the U.K? As after my diagnosis in December 2022, they didn’t seem to be offering any support. 

thank you for your time, Grin

• Hello! I understand what you mean about the grief for your younger self. I'm 45, suspected I was autistic for over ten years before I finally got a diagnosis in December. And yes, it hit like train even after all that time.  I've been talking to an online therapist about my childhood and other experiences for almost a year, and that helps a lot.  I also finally talked to my doctor with a list of symptoms for my mental health and she put me on some very nice anti anxiety medication.

As for other people, there is unfortunately, no way to change them. You can only manage your own responses.  For me, that means dying my hair bright pink, being my authentic self as much as possible, and treating others with the kindness that I was missing in myself.  Most of the conversations I start begin with "I like your..." (dress, tie, item of jewellery etc.)  Often in groups people start conversations with me about my hair and it's a nice safe topic that I've used many times before.

I also work in a primary school which means I get regular breaks for half term holidays, a reliable routine, and colleagues who understand a bit more about autism.

I also love learning more about being autistic and researching other autistic people's experiences.  Aucademy is a wonderful online resource.  I also love Chris Bonnello's approach- he's got a website called "autistic not weird" which promotes acceptance.

Welcome to the forum!