Following the tide...then not. Not knowing what to think.

Hi, 

I am new to this. So hello. 

I am finding this very hard to explain so forgive me if it doesn't make sense!

Sometimes do you go along with the theme of a conversation I.e. someone is saying that someone else isn't pulling their weight etc and you agree and so join the rhetoric.

Then over a period of time the other person seems to have changed their mind - and then you feel like you are caught out and you don't know what to think because what they are now saying also seems to hold true. 

I feel like I don't know who I am or how to hold my own opinions. Anyone else found it more difficult as you jave go older and had children? Looking back I found life a lot easier when I was younger and in my twenties. I feel more autistic than ever recently. 

Sorry that has been such a ramble post! 

Parents
  • Hi Jayman. Welcome to the forum. You’ve explained that way better than you think you have, and I know exactly what you mean. I sometimes think I’m like that character Paul Whitehouse used to play whose opinion can be swayed by the next earnestly made point in the room, even if it’s diametrically opposed to someone he was nodding along to two minutes earlier.

I’m slightly overstating that, as it’s not like I’d suddenly adopt racist or right-leaning views  just because someone passionately espoused their own at me. It would be more within a more nebulous realm of stuff. The everyday intricacies of politics and ‘the moral maze’ where everyone seems so sure of their side as though they’d secretly been able to pause time and research it all deeply at their leisure to the point of personal certainty. And faced with that level of personal self assurance , I maybe end up going ‘yes I see what you mean - good point’ while feeling private unease at my own fluctuating moral compass.  

• Hi Shardovan, completely unrelated to this post but I wanted you to know I added you as a friend, I was alerted by email but nothing shows on the site - presume it’s some bug. 

Reply Children
No Data