Teens and Autism

Hi,

I’m the father of two boys. One with ASD and the other with ASD and ADHD. My eldest (with ASD) is 13 and he is the reason for my post. He frequently questions the value of his life, ‘I have no friends, I’m useless, I’m no good at anything, my life’s really bad. ‘ He’s incredibly bright and funny, obsessed with trains and his Xbox and currently training on there to be the next F1 world champion !!!
We try our very best to help but don’t have all the answers and I’m sure this is not an uncommon story. So I guess what I’m wondering is who else has a similar situation and what’s worked for you. I know he feels like he’s the only one so maybe you have a lad that’s in/been through this too? I’ve suggested he write on here but that’s a step too far for him right now, even though chatting to someone like himself I’m sure could really help. 

So if you’ve found yourself in the same position and have some sage advice or have a teenage lad who’s really owned his Autism I’d love to hear back. 

Thanks

Parents
  • I’m not sure what to suggest. Therapy to change his way of thinking? He needs to boost his self esteem essentially. And that’s quite hard to do, since most of us feel worthless or not good enough. I think once he accepts himself, he will probably start funding the positives more easily. But that comes with time. Perhaps in the meantime he could do some type of voluntary stuff based around interests? Could he walk a neighbours dog for instance? Small acts of kindness for people can work wonders for self appreciation….

• The age of 13 is an age where it is easy to make mistakes. I used to go through and understand it. These questions I have also asked myself. I don't understand what people's definitions of ASD and ADHD are specifically, but maybe people are Sonic exe confused? When I was 35 years old, reading this thread was like seeing myself in my youth. Negative thoughts caused by puberty. Just give your children advice and wait for time. Things will be different and get better as they get older.

• The age of 13 is an age where it is easy to make mistakes. I used to go through and understand it. These questions I have also asked myself. I don't understand what people's definitions of ASD and ADHD are specifically, but maybe people are Sonic exe confused? When I was 35 years old, reading this thread was like seeing myself in my youth. Negative thoughts caused by puberty. Just give your children advice and wait for time. Things will be different and get better as they get older.

Children
No Data