Is this the Asd or just me?

Hi Wave 

I’m a recently diagnosed 38 year old female and have been feeling pretty confused since my diagnosis. I’ve always known I was different, so my results were not exactly a surprise but it did make me realise how ignorant I had been about understanding Autism. So, as I’m sure the majority of you also did, I threw myself into intense research and a lot of my life suddenly made sense. But atm I feel like 2 people in 1. There is Asd me who embraces all my traits and then “normal” me who still tries to do “normal “ For example, I will still force on clothes that I hate, because then I’ll fit in or attempt a coversation with a passing dog walker about the weather, which quite frankly does not interest me in the slightest.

Do you know? I just realised whilst typing, I think I’m just struggling to fully unmask. 

Did any of you experience this? Is this a normal reaction?

Parents
  • I'd say you're doing a good job at recognising yourself in different ways and how you're affected this early on. I was diagnosed when I was 11, I'm 25 now and I've no idea about anything. Just feel the effects of everything but struggle to accept and cope. Pleased for you, good job!

• Thanks Bex. I think I’m still in a bit of a whirlwind of confusion about the whole situation. My diagnosis made sense and wasn’t a surprise but now I know, I’ve just sat back and questioned my whole life. It’s been an emotional rollercoaster and still is to be honest 

• Hang in there and know it's all normal. There's a lot to reflect on and you're going to have so many questions and regrets. Everything you're feeling and thinking is completely normal. Give yourself time. You will get there. X

• Hang in there and know it's all normal. There's a lot to reflect on and you're going to have so many questions and regrets. Everything you're feeling and thinking is completely normal. Give yourself time. You will get there. X

Children
No Data