Hi all. Feeling lost

I am a 60 year old male diagnosed a few weeks ago. This is my second post I have just commented on a 'why get diagnosed post' Simply seeking a diagnosis I felt would not make a jot of difference, which ever way it went. Not at my age so I was very ambivalent. On actually receiving the diagnosis I now feel that seeking a diagnosis is one of the worst things I have ever done. I feel lost. 

• Apologies if my earlier comment seemed in any way dismissive or theoretical. Really wasn’t my intention - was just expressing how I’d found my recent experience. I actually only read your comment on the other thread after posting, so hadn’t realised a lot of the background. Absolutely didn’t mean to offend. 

• One of the problems I face is lack of support/direction. I was literally prescribed a 48 week course of therapy. Literally 1 week later, once my autistic diagnosis came through I was told the proposed course of therapy was withdrawn and I was to be discharged as my difficulties are apparently autistic related. The service that diagnosed me is a diagnostic not a support service. I feel that my world has turned upside down. To me some earlier comments seem to be theoretical. No insult intended. 

• Seriously thank you all. I have spent many years being told I have a MH problem and have worked very hard to get better. I have tried to adopt strategies to 'fit in' for many years now. I am not great at conversations and upset people. I know you know what I mean. In order to try to achieve this I am overly polite and agreeable. Are you saying do not be like this accept I'll always be on the peripheries. I guess like many others this is a dangerous strategy as I have lost several jobs by simply asking please accept me as me and try and accommodate my world a little

• I'm 43, and was diagnosed as a kid.

However, adulthood was the real challenge. I was mollycoddled too long, and didn't grow up until I ABSOLUTELY had to. 

• Sorry about my typos, now fixed. I think the key thing is to realise that a lot of the traditional CBT stuff doesn’t work so well on autistic people, so you can start to think more in terms of limiting exposure/ more manageably pacing it to disabling environments and clusters of events that push you past your tolerance threshold. It empowers you to say ‘I’m going to suit myself more and explain why if I have to’ but how that looks for you will be very bespoke. 

• Thank you. My lack of understanding is I think key. Spent many years being treated for mental health. I do not comprehend what is mental health and what is not. I do not understand the differences so I feel I can't plan or find strategies (if that makes sense). Any hints or tips will be greatly welcome. I don't like the rabbit hole I'm going down though I am trying to turn around. I feel like bambie on ice

• Not to invalidate your authentic reaction, but I hope it will change for you. Isn’t it better to know, and let that help you tilt the mirror to better understand challenges you’ve had and even to say ‘I’ve done ok here, I’ve coped’. Simplifying too much there, but hopefully you get the gist of what I mean. 

• I’m sorry to hear that. I’ve had days like this as well since my diagnosis (aged 37) in February. I’ve also had days where I’ve been better able to understand why I’m “a certain way” and try new strategies to deal with it. 

I’ve had lots of helpful support and advice from this forum, and a recurring theme is that this sort of thing is very normal. Just try and be kind to yourself as best you can whilst you adjust to the diagnosis.