Hi all. Feeling lost

I am a 60 year old male diagnosed a few weeks ago. This is my second post I have just commented on a 'why get diagnosed post' Simply seeking a diagnosis I felt would not make a jot of difference, which ever way it went. Not at my age so I was very ambivalent. On actually receiving the diagnosis I now feel that seeking a diagnosis is one of the worst things I have ever done. I feel lost. 

Parents
  • Thank you. My lack of understanding is I think key. Spent many years being treated for mental health. I do not comprehend what is mental health and what is not. I do not understand the differences so I feel I can't plan or find strategies (if that makes sense). Any hints or tips will be greatly welcome. I don't like the rabbit hole I'm going down though I am trying to turn around. I feel like bambie on ice

• Thank you. My lack of understanding is I think key. Spent many years being treated for mental health. I do not comprehend what is mental health and what is not. I do not understand the differences so I feel I can't plan or find strategies (if that makes sense). Any hints or tips will be greatly welcome. I don't like the rabbit hole I'm going down though I am trying to turn around. I feel like bambie on ice

Children
  • Sorry about my typos, now fixed. I think the key thing is to realise that a lot of the traditional CBT stuff doesn’t work so well on autistic people, so you can start to think more in terms of limiting exposure/ more manageably pacing it to disabling environments and clusters of events that push you past your tolerance threshold. It empowers you to say ‘I’m going to suit myself more and explain why if I have to’ but how that looks for you will be very bespoke.