Hello, new member

Hi everyone,

My name is Sarah and I'm 56 yrs old.  No diagnosis but have spent my life feeling, like many others, that I'm not wired the same as other people and that I don't fit into the world.

I've talked to my GP a number of times over the years when I seem to be struggling more than others.  I was told I have anxiety, yes I think I do, but there is so much more going on that I just can't find the right words for.

I read up on being Autistic a long time ago and a lot of it fit with with me.  However since watching the wonderful programmes that Chris Packham presented over the last couple of weeks, my life was there in two one hour programmes, I wept, that finally this appeared to put into words that other would understand how my world is.

I asked my mum to watch it, so that she could understand how my life is day to day and that every day is a battle, but although she can see the similarities in me, I don' think she understands.

My hubby of almost 26 yrs, gets me, and since I have been able to put it into words a bit better is trying so hard to be more understanding.

I work in customer service in a telephone based role, but mainly work from home, with one day in the office a week.  I can cope with that but team days with lots of noise are really difficult and I struggle to cope.

I suggested my team leader watch the TV programmes and she is now more aware of why I struggle and has been really supportive.

I'm not sure if pursuing a formal diagnosis will help? nothing will change? I feel better knowing that this is me. 

Sorry very long garbled first posts. Taken a while to pluck up courage

But Hi everyone, looking forward to chatting with you and learning more.

Parents
  • Hi Sarah, lovely to meet you. I'm pretty new here too, everyone here is so supportive and it really does feel like a tribe of like minded people who really understand what you mean and are going through. Looking forward to getting to know you

• Hi Sarah, lovely to meet you. I'm pretty new here too, everyone here is so supportive and it really does feel like a tribe of like minded people who really understand what you mean and are going through. Looking forward to getting to know you

Children
No Data