Hi

Hi.

How are you? Smile

I was diagnosed on Tuesday which was my birthday. Usually I hate birthdays but I liked this one because it felt like I finally know who I am. The relief was immense and much needed after not knowing who I was all my life. I wish id known earlier tbh but im happy to know now. 

What is ur fave TV series? Just try to be nice and make convo. Mine is Stranger Things!

Parents
  • Hi Pookie, 

Wishing you a belated happy birthday Slight smile 

That feeling of relief i know very well as i realized in December myself

Anyway welcome to the forum, nice to have you with us Slight smile

Jamie

• Hi thx! Nice to meet you. 

The relief is amazing feels so good and a big weight of. So glad you are diagnosed now. 

• Yes it really is amazing. I've lived in constant confusion for 35 years pretty much, not knowing why i was different but constantly searching for why. I haven't been assessed yet but will be in the next few months. It will just confirm what i already know (that i'm a high functioning autist) 

• Yes it really is amazing. I've lived in constant confusion for 35 years pretty much, not knowing why i was different but constantly searching for why. I haven't been assessed yet but will be in the next few months. It will just confirm what i already know (that i'm a high functioning autist) 

Children
  • It's been a real struggle to say the least but i'm no longer beating myself up for not performing socially. I did the Camouflaging Autistic Traits test and realized i've used just about every masking/camouflaging technique there is. I've been hiding my true self all this time which is sad but at least i understand myself better now. I have a gift though so it's not all bad Slight smile

It's great you have a feeling of belonging now too and are understanding yourself better Slight smile

• I found out at 44 last year. Suspicions were growing though! Exhaustion brought me to the assessors’ door. And also (the real tipping point) the brave and diplomatic suggestion of a colleague and friend who is one of those one in a million people that even someone as sensitive as me couldn’t take offence at. In fact I was deeply touched that she cared enough to say ‘maybe you should…’ 

• O.M.G 35 years how did u cope that long? It's only been 16 4 me but felt like a hundred billion years! For ages I felt like an outside and so much confusion and now I feel I belong and understand things better. I'm glad ur have your own assessment soon. It will make u feel a lot better