Young adults with no friends

Hey

I was wondering how many young adults (roughly between the ages of 18-25) have joined this forum like me due to feeling lonely/without friends. I thought maybe if we all posted a bit of info about ourselves we may find people who are have similar interests and hobbies. And hopefully find some friends.

So I’ll start buy sharing a bit about me:

My name is Jasmine, I’m 23 years old. Unfortunately still single. I work evening/nights at a supermarket. I have high functioning autism and crippling anxiety. I enjoy watching tv and movies (I’ve just started re-watching Harry Potter.) I play the piano and I’m attempting to teach myself the ukulele. I enjoy cooking and baking. I am trying to complete an online course which is equivalent to doing a levels but have lost motivation for it right now. (Going to restart in the new year) I was home educated in year 9 due to bullying and I have never really found a friend who understands me or accepts me for who I am. 

Parents
  • Hi Jasmine, my name is Jamie, in the last 2 years I was diagnosed with Aspergers. I have very few friends and don’t understand most people. I’m 37 and have struggled with relationships my whole life, I prefer to chat online to get started, finding people to connect with is a hard task. I struggle to think of things to talk about and I usually have an awkward silence….

I like gaming bc it helps me calm down and think of my day, analyse things. I like puzzles, sci fi movies.. I guess the more I know someone, the more they can know and be a real friend.

During my school days, I blended in, I thought it was normal to be the way I was bc I wasn’t diagnosed that time. I’ve just put up with the way I am, the only way I know how. 

I hope you can make some friends in here, I wish you all the best Jasmine

• I’m the queen of awkward silences especially around people I don’t know. I am one of those people who really enjoyed wearing face coverings during covid. I just felt better when I was hidden and when there are these awkward silences I tend to find myself laughing. Which is easier to hide with a mask. So many people kept questioning why I was wearing one that I caved and stopped wearing one. Worse choice ever and my anxiety is way worse for it. 

My brothers also use gaming as a distraction to stressful times. I use music in a similar way.

I’ve never been diagnosed with autism or anxiety for the same reason as yourself. I spend my entire life masking and trying to fit in and its exhausting. I was never seen as normal, but now I realise I’d much rather be weird than normal!! My younger brothers with autism attend an additional needs only trampoline club. It’s my favourite time of the week, as I can be myself and no one cares because everyone else is doing the same.

thanks for your response I really appreciate it!

• Thank you for your reply Jasmine, your viewpoints help me feel better, that it’s not just me being weird. 

I agree with the fact that I would rather be weird then normal idea. I don’t worry what other people think, I think it’s why I have few friends. At work is where I have to fit in the most and act like the others or they might get rid of me, I usually need a sleep after work, I’m exhausted. 

Another part that makes my life interesting and prevents me from branching out too much is the fact that I have epilepsy as well. About a year ago I had my medication looked at and changed, I haven’t had a seizure since they did that. Before then I used to have seizures all the time, maybe 1 per month when it was bad, other times it was 1 in 2 months, but I couldn’t be sure how many would happen. I had no warnings, I just always woke up in hospital, they kept me there for observation. I had to get ambulance cover insurance bc I was always getting billed for the ambulance bringing me to hospital. With branching out, I have a few restrictions like.. not having a license, so lots of jobs I can’t do bc it says I must drive. Jobs that require me to work alone I can’t do, bc I can’t guarantee my safety. I’ve been knocked back from lots of jobs bc I’m viewed as a liability. I try to find jobs in small groups, I really don’t mind working by myself, but having epilepsy means it’s not a good idea, just to be on the safe side.

• I’m in Australia, things have improved a lot in regards to my epilepsy. I had a seizure where I broke my kneecap, I needed an operation straight away, so I could walk, however they also added extra medication to what I take and it has helped me very well bc since that one I haven’t had a seizure. I still avoid certain things out of habit and to be on the safe side. With my autism, well, I’ve stopped trying trying to fit in, most people ignore me at work, I’m also bullied sometimes, so I try to avoid discussion with these people, it’s how I avoid being bullied,  all my friends are online.

• I’m exhausted 24/7 by trying to fit in, I was hoping as I’ve been working at the same place for 18 months now I would feel more comfortable but I don’t. It must be super hard having both autism and epilepsy. I would find the unpredictability of epilepsy very hard to cope with. I’m glad it is under control now. It must be very frustrating not being able to do certain jobs, I find I can only do shorter shifts because I have IBS. So although my medical issues are far less serious I understand how difficult it is. I’m assuming as you have been billed for ambulances that you do not live in the uk. Do you mind me asking what country you are in?

• I’m exhausted 24/7 by trying to fit in, I was hoping as I’ve been working at the same place for 18 months now I would feel more comfortable but I don’t. It must be super hard having both autism and epilepsy. I would find the unpredictability of epilepsy very hard to cope with. I’m glad it is under control now. It must be very frustrating not being able to do certain jobs, I find I can only do shorter shifts because I have IBS. So although my medical issues are far less serious I understand how difficult it is. I’m assuming as you have been billed for ambulances that you do not live in the uk. Do you mind me asking what country you are in?

Children
  • I’m in Australia, things have improved a lot in regards to my epilepsy. I had a seizure where I broke my kneecap, I needed an operation straight away, so I could walk, however they also added extra medication to what I take and it has helped me very well bc since that one I haven’t had a seizure. I still avoid certain things out of habit and to be on the safe side. With my autism, well, I’ve stopped trying trying to fit in, most people ignore me at work, I’m also bullied sometimes, so I try to avoid discussion with these people, it’s how I avoid being bullied,  all my friends are online.