Recently diagnosed adult

Hi all,

I'm a 47 year old male and was diagnosed with autism in May of this year after struggling all my life with depression and anxiety. I've always felt 'different' and 'odd' and it explains a lot. For over a decade running (especially trail running, where I'm usually totally alone for hours) has helped me cope.

Initially my diagnosis was a relief as it explained a lot about my issues but longer term it's left me feeling quite conflicted as I've always pushed myself to be 'social' and not to give in to my anxieties. Now I find myself in a position where I struggle not to use it as an excuse and it's also knocked my confidence (even in my ability to run).

I just wondered what experiences others have had after receiving a diagnosis as an adult, especially as I've had no support/advice since receiving my diagnosis.

Parents
  • Congratulations on your diagnosis. As I am sure you have discovered, there are a good many members here who started off in the same boat as you; decades spent feeling 'different' before we eventually discovered why.

I was 42 when I discovered why I had spent so much of my life struggling. For me, it was a blessed relief, which was then followed by a feeling of, "What now?" I didn't want to spend the rest of my life struggling, and I felt rather despondent because I had incorrectly assumed that I would be automatically referred to some form of professional post-diagnosis support. When my GP gave me a printout with the URL of the National Autistic Society, little did I know that this was the only autism-related help I was going to get from the medical profession.

It took me the best part of 5 years to realise that if I wanted help, it would probably be in my best interests to register as a NAS member. I wish I had done it sooner, as it's given me the confidence to start ditching the mask; to not feel guilty or self-conscious about being my authentic self when I'm not in my safe space.

• Congratulations on your diagnosis. As I am sure you have discovered, there are a good many members here who started off in the same boat as you; decades spent feeling 'different' before we eventually discovered why.

I was 42 when I discovered why I had spent so much of my life struggling. For me, it was a blessed relief, which was then followed by a feeling of, "What now?" I didn't want to spend the rest of my life struggling, and I felt rather despondent because I had incorrectly assumed that I would be automatically referred to some form of professional post-diagnosis support. When my GP gave me a printout with the URL of the National Autistic Society, little did I know that this was the only autism-related help I was going to get from the medical profession.

It took me the best part of 5 years to realise that if I wanted help, it would probably be in my best interests to register as a NAS member. I wish I had done it sooner, as it's given me the confidence to start ditching the mask; to not feel guilty or self-conscious about being my authentic self when I'm not in my safe space.

Children