Any other Autistic adults in Northern Ireland?

Hi new to site and would like to connect with others in NI. Sat accidently beside another person with autism  at a works "do" today, and it took a lot to get myself there..... what a difference, what a positive experience and I would appreciate meeting others if anyone feels the same it would be good to hear from you.  

Parents
  • Hi Janet, I’m in Northern Ireland too. I’ve only just joined here. 

• Hi Zoe Wave  never knew this existed. Hope you getting on okay

• Me neither. I only read about it in the email today. What part of NI are you in? 

• Although *too*!tentative and no momentum is established. It’s a question of balance I suppose. I just remembered that I’d look into how to become an admin on the Twitter thing so I will try to figure that out. 

• I just tweeted in the circle after a longer than intended break due to feeling wretched to be honest. I wonder if the WhatsApp is worth considering again. The circle is private I know but 140 characters can be an issue for me (even if at times a good discipline) and a meaningful conversation when we’re individually at our lowest might more organically flow  in a WhatsApp group. I’ll persevere with Twitter for now as i deeply appreciate Propurple setting something up there. This thread deserves a bump too, see if anyone else finds it a helpful  beacon for fostering some tentative local networking and support. 

• Never mind, all sorted now thanks

• Hi I joined up on Twitter and found the group but can’t work out how to ask to join the circle. It’s probably really obvious and I’m being embarrassingly rubbish with technical stuff as per. Any help appreciated!

• Oh that’s clever, I’d definitely be more comfortable that way. A circle of trust! 

• That's understandable, there is a new feature  called twitter circles, only people in the circle can view the posted  tweets, any one who joins will be put into the circle, it holds up to 150 peopleBlusho I think we'll be okay.Blush

• Hi Janet. I'm not personally on social media, though I do like to follow some accounts and trending things on there from time to time via the 'Search' facility etc. Thank you for going to the trouble of setting something up on there, and I'll think about it though must admit to some reticence for complicated reasons. Maybe a bit silly when this forum is just as public. But the joined-up-ness of everything can be a bit overwhelming on social media stuff I find. I'm sure others will be on there before too long, while I'm still dithering over it!

• My apologies Zoe, I didn't see your friend request flagged up but realise now that it was buried in the 'unread notifications' bit that's easier seen on my PC than my phone. I've now accepted it with gratitude, but sadly I only caught the merest glimpse of the message you attached to it before it mysteriously blinked out of existence. Jut a glitch of the site I think. Thank you for taking the time to add some kind and friendly words though, and I'm just sorry I didn't get to read them in full. So if I appear to have ignored anything you said or asked, please know that it's not something intended. I'll share my number in a little while to see if we can get the WhatsApp group thing rolling. 

• This reply was deleted.
  • Shardovan, I think I sent you a friend request a couple of days ago but I’m not sure because I can’t figure this forum out. The replies are all over the place. Emojis don’t work properly either. For me, at least. I prefer WhatsApp and I’m happy to share my number with you. 

• I could send a friend request or three to facilitate that, supplying my own number, if that sounds ok?  And hopefully that mutual tentativeness (almost paradoxically) fosters a healthy trust, but if one or two  would rather wait for a few more to respond to the thread before trying a whatapp group that would be understandable. Of course, such a group could always grow incrementally over months anyway, and is likely to remain relatively small - which probably makes it less daunting overall? 

• As long as we are happy to share numbers I think it'd be good idea  and Zoe a lot of interesting discussions on this forum so We'd have that as well

• I’m not very tech savvy so beyond WhatsApp wouldn’t know what to suggest but I think it would be a secure enough feeling safe space. The only other private platform I’m in a smallish group on is a Discord server (Doctor Who fans), but someone with a bit of know-how got that up and running and I was just a grateful recipient of an invite. I think with WhatsApp, someone has to be a nominal administrator but it doesn’t require any sustained effort in that regard. Once it’s there it’s an equal footing for everyone in it. With no pressure for specific regularity or frequency of posting. Just finds it’s own pace. 

• that sounds good, i couldn't have picked a better word than tentatively myself.  We can all take an oath not to call each other. as i said to Zoe   I've no idea if what's app is the best for us to try this out , if you've any other suggestions?

• that's great Zoe, and if there's one thing, I don't like its talking on the phone.  I've no idea if what's app is the best for us to try this out any other suggestions welcome. 

• I’d be happy to tentatively try that too, nobody would have to worry about calls I rarely inflict my awful voice on anyone unless it’s unavoidable! No offence taken if you’d prefer a more selectively chosen group, im just trying to be open to things when nice people are kind enough to extend the general invitation. 

• I like the idea of a WhatsApp group. It would be much easier to follow and get to know each other. I’m happy to share my number as long as it's only used for WhatsApp and not unexpected phone calls. I hate speaking on the phone. 

• That’s a nice idea. Yes, as much as I appreciate this place, finding the hidden ‘ten minutes ago’ or whatever is quite the search sometimes. 

Reply Children
No Data