Any other Autistic adults in Northern Ireland?

Hi new to site and would like to connect with others in NI. Sat accidently beside another person with autism  at a works "do" today, and it took a lot to get myself there..... what a difference, what a positive experience and I would appreciate meeting others if anyone feels the same it would be good to hear from you.  

Parents
  • Hi Janet, I’m in Northern Ireland too. I’ve only just joined here. 

• Hi Zoe Wave  never knew this existed. Hope you getting on okay

• Me neither. I only read about it in the email today. What part of NI are you in? 

• I could send a friend request or three to facilitate that, supplying my own number, if that sounds ok?  And hopefully that mutual tentativeness (almost paradoxically) fosters a healthy trust, but if one or two  would rather wait for a few more to respond to the thread before trying a whatapp group that would be understandable. Of course, such a group could always grow incrementally over months anyway, and is likely to remain relatively small - which probably makes it less daunting overall? 

• As long as we are happy to share numbers I think it'd be good idea  and Zoe a lot of interesting discussions on this forum so We'd have that as well

• I’m not very tech savvy so beyond WhatsApp wouldn’t know what to suggest but I think it would be a secure enough feeling safe space. The only other private platform I’m in a smallish group on is a Discord server (Doctor Who fans), but someone with a bit of know-how got that up and running and I was just a grateful recipient of an invite. I think with WhatsApp, someone has to be a nominal administrator but it doesn’t require any sustained effort in that regard. Once it’s there it’s an equal footing for everyone in it. With no pressure for specific regularity or frequency of posting. Just finds it’s own pace. 

• that sounds good, i couldn't have picked a better word than tentatively myself.  We can all take an oath not to call each other. as i said to Zoe   I've no idea if what's app is the best for us to try this out , if you've any other suggestions?

• that's great Zoe, and if there's one thing, I don't like its talking on the phone.  I've no idea if what's app is the best for us to try this out any other suggestions welcome. 

• I’d be happy to tentatively try that too, nobody would have to worry about calls I rarely inflict my awful voice on anyone unless it’s unavoidable! No offence taken if you’d prefer a more selectively chosen group, im just trying to be open to things when nice people are kind enough to extend the general invitation. 

• I like the idea of a WhatsApp group. It would be much easier to follow and get to know each other. I’m happy to share my number as long as it's only used for WhatsApp and not unexpected phone calls. I hate speaking on the phone. 

• That’s a nice idea. Yes, as much as I appreciate this place, finding the hidden ‘ten minutes ago’ or whatever is quite the search sometimes. 

• Most of my life is housework, too, but I still require a cleaner - every Wednesday morning - to keep the place shining.

I wish I was a natural with animals, like my Mum. Whenever I was younger, I was like Lenny from 'Of Mice and Men'.

• Maybe in time a few of us could start new thread or what's app or something? Replies are easy missed alright. Mist have been lovely working with horses, though hard work! You're rabbit and goldfish sound cute. Small talk is overated Blush 

• The site wasn’t working for me yesterday either. It must have crashed. I hope they improve the way the site is laid out because it’s not easy to follow a thread and replies are easily missed. 

I haven’t been employed for years but I used to work with horses. That’s all I’ve ever done really. I loved it but dealing with all the people wasn’t so easy for me. I’m dreadful at smalltalk face to face. I’m at home most of the time doing housework. I have a pet rabbit and a goldfish to keep me company. 

• Hi zoe, I didn't spot your reply at first, and yesterday the site wasn't working for me. I do hypnotherapy so the psychology fits nicely. Lifelong interest so it's good to get formal training too. What about you? Are you in a job you love/ training/or...?

• Hypnotherapy is good. I used it to quit smoking 5yrs ago. Is psychology the area you want to work in or are you studying it for interest only? 

• Yes the radio show was great I spent a very long time listening to them on repeat at night before sleep, turned out there was a lot of people doing the same, there was a sleep club on you tube Blush bill burr is very funny and very honest, highly reccomend lol.

• A foundation degree in canine psychology sounds really interesting. Animals are fascinating aren't they. Yes that's exactly right he did do the show an idiot abroad, so funny so honest. I did a yearof counselling study then decided to study hypnotherapy  after that as it appealed to me more. I'm doing my foundation degree in psychology at the moment and should be doing an assignment right now Upside down i can't watch scary movies too unpleasant.  I like tim Burton and autumn.

• I’m not too familiar with BB but about ten years ago got hooked on Karl stuff including the early radio recordings where he first entered the fray. It’s been a while since I dabbled but he’s a legend for sure 

• Yes, I love the dark nights too. Definitely an autumn and winter person. Talking a late night walk when everyone has their festive lights on and I have the streets to myself is always something special 

• Is that the same guy who did the tv show ‘An idiot abroad’? It was really funny. I’m interested in psychology too, both people and animals. I have a foundation degree in canine behaviour management. Halloween is a bit awkward for me because I love scary movies but I can’t watch them because they give me nightmares. I’ll probably watch Muppets Haunted Mansion again. I love the dark so this is my favourite time of year. 

• Hi I live the lights at Christmas myself. I'm a bigger fan of Halloween tho! I'm 53 and I like ....Bill Burr Karl pilkington  podcasts... interested in psychology 

• Those vintage carriage lights sound lovely Slight smile. My tree will be going up next month. Usually around the 18th November. I have a load of books about Christmas that I’ll start reading again soon. I love the history of it and reading about the origins of all the Christmas traditions. 

• Those vintage carriage lights sound lovely Slight smile. My tree will be going up next month. Usually around the 18th November. I have a load of books about Christmas that I’ll start reading again soon. I love the history of it and reading about the origins of all the Christmas traditions. 

Children
No Data