Feeling lost and confused

Hi, I'm Sarah and I'm struggling to cope with being diagnosed with autism, some days are better than others but I feel that talking to others is hard and I feel that I'm being judged, bored/ not interested. How can I get over this feeling and get along better with people?   My son has autism but he has grown up with it, I've been through my whole life struggling and I now think my life would of been better if I knew why I was different. I almost hate who I am. 

• @May24 I was diagnosed at 16 too. I was wondering if there was any other people who had been diagnosed at the same age / point in their life as me. I've been thinking if I would have been treated differently in school if the teachers knew I was autistic and just being me, rather than thinking that I was weird and had some sort of problem that needed fixing.

• I wish I had read your reply for writing as you said it way better and much clearer. But finding a way to communicate is key indeed and I've slowly come the realistation that it will take time for me to get to a better place with this, but glad that I have this one key area that I can slowly chip away at it. The worst feeling is being in the unknown with this stuff. Thanks for sharing

• Hi Sarah, I'm in the process of being diagnosed,  but this is merely a formality now,  and I can totally relate to the confusion around being autistic. I'm 36 and super confused with what this means, but equally, it offers crystal clear clarity on certain matters. I'm told I get on great with others, professionally I work great with people, yet personally I don't get people, they confuse me, I don't get social cues and when you look at it that way its obvious why I am confused. Hearing testimonials like yours and researching more on how people handle Neuro Divergent life does bring me some peace, if not answers. In that, there is a collection of us who are the same and struggle the same way and are kind of not alone. But to cut my ramble short, I  have found in professional or formal situations, I take comfort in setting the scene by declaring my Autism and how it can or will affect my interaction with them. People like to be put at ease and NT people seem to be great at reacting to the 'invisible' cues we can't, so I stress things that I feel are negative of mine to put their mind at ease. (I worked in sales for a long time and realise I did this with my customers to great success). 

So I will offer an early apology about how I am. i.e, I do talk a lot, or might overload you with info so please let me know, and I'll happily re-explain, etc. I've noticed that something as simple as this really helps. As people are already thinking, 'I'm dealing with an autistic person, and they said to watch out for this,' but then things like lack of eye contact or other traits are equally processed as not being a problem, threat, or cause for offense and its generally pleasurable or just easier for me to navigate. 

With that said, personal interaction with people I am close to, I don't do this, and It takes me a while to open up. My nearest and dearest are aware of my condition, but others are not, as I fear that with an official diagnosis, I feel I have no right to declare I am autistic, yet my whole existence and experience is an autistic one. Strange, I know, but this is a block for me. As a result, I do find communication to be awkward at times me getting bored of them as much as they are of me. But I feel I f I can set the scene and let people know early enough about my autism, it helps. And it also allows others to understand me in ways they never know. Which I think is what it all boils down to, right? Not being understood or fear of it and hence all the baggage that comes with that. 

Sorry for the word count. 

• hey Sarah, my name is May I'm a autistic teenager that was only diagnosed last year at 16yo. I completely get that feeling! I spent most of my life being "the weird kid" and not understanding why, then I started looking into a diagnosis for like two years before actually getting one. And my parents didn't want me to be diagnosed because they had a terrible idea of what autism was. 

Social interactions are HARD. I always feel like I don't get what's happening but what I found to help me, strangely is: communication.

that might sound crazy like "yeah it's hard to talk but I get over it by communicating" 

But it doesn't need to be verbal communication, I encourage you try to find other ways you're more comfortable with to explain to people how you're feeling and that you're having a hard time to adjust with these changes and how best they can support you.

some examples are texting, writing a letter or even sharing songs, poems or book quotes you identify with.

I really hope things get better for you, I don't know how much my opinion will matter but, I genuinely think you're most probably a great mom just by getting your son his diagnosis at a young age. He's lucky to have you.