Autism and alcohol

Catch 22 and vicious circle in one. I sometimes drink because I feel stupid, embarrassed or alone because of my autism. I then tend to do minor things (that seem like major things) that make me feel the same way.

I'm in a WhatsApp group with NTs and my comments usually end the conversation. I feel liked enough when i see them in person, but my paranoia is starting to shoot through the roof and my decision making is being affected.

Anyone else on this level? Done with feeling stupid and embarrassed ALL THE TIME. Could really do with some advice. Thanks 

• I have used alcohol to get through difficult social and work events - big family gatherings, giving seminars to large groups of people etc. - and it worked for me. The trick is not needing to use it very often, not get reliant on it for ordinary everyday life. Normally, I would probably drink about the equivalent of a bottle of wine in a week, mostly with meals.

Luckily, alcohol makes me talkative and more confident, never morose, maudlin or aggressive.

• Defos stop. It can have a negative effect on you after a while, saw it with my sister when she used drinking as a sort of crutch when she went through hard times.

Sounds like they aren't great people to try and be with. You should be with people who you don't need to drink to be in touch with. Are there any autistic groups near you? I find I relate and get on with others with autism than with NTs.

• I can sympathize with this. This is why I never get involved in "banter" on Facebook ect. I even get paranoid on here that my comments end the discussion. They probably don't, sometimes it is just a question of timing maybe, coming in at the end of the discussion.

• I'm currently cycling in a period of paranoia at the moment, and it's frigging dreadful.  Is it me, or is it them?  Paranoia is an incredibly awful feeling.  Alcohol is normally my go-to soother, but I'm taking a self imposed break from that stuff.  30 day+ achieved so far.

• you're trying to befriend wrong type of people, if drinking is a must to be part of that group it isn't good for you, and you should look for a different one

I feel very tired after I got drunk, like the worst kind of tiredness I can get, that makes me able only to go to bed and try to fall asleep, and 2 beers is enough for me to be like that

I don't get that tired even after 5 days 8h long shifts unloading delivery pallets in a supermarket

try local board games groups maybe? you can find them on meetup, geeks are less likely to be alcohol consumers on regular basis

• I used to use alcohol to deal with social anxiety a long time before I knew I was autistic. I struggled to function in a group setting unless I was drinking and would get drunk just to have the confidence to be around groups of loud people. 

I also couldnt talk to girls sober either

I stopped drinking for social anxiety a long time ago and it had such a good effect on me. Dont get me wrong the social anxiety is as strong as ever and I dont have many friends but at least I know if anyone ever does like me theyre liking me for me and not for how "fun" I am when I drink

Now I just have a beer or two in the evening because I like it rather than to try and get drunk which I dont do anymore

As for whats app groups, they are a nightmare! I dont know why anyone would ever want to be a part of one, they are the ultimate confusing social situation. Like you I can never know when is the right time to say something or how to join in the "banter" So stressful and confusing. I cant help thinking life was a lot easier for us autistic people before the invention of all this stuff

Anyway hope this helps, here anytime you need to talk. Just know your not alone and your great the way you are 

• Stop drinking? Using alcohol as a crutch does nothing for the self esteem in the long run,

You need to realise that you are fine as you are. I suspect it’s only you that thinks you end the text conversations. Surround yourself with people that get you and accept you. You shouldn’t need to change any behaviour to fit in. 
    How long have you been diagnosed? I stopped being so hard on myself when I got mine. Yes I make mistakes, I say the wrong thing, I stumble my words, but that’s OK. Everyone does it.