Autism and alcohol

Catch 22 and vicious circle in one. I sometimes drink because I feel stupid, embarrassed or alone because of my autism. I then tend to do minor things (that seem like major things) that make me feel the same way.

I'm in a WhatsApp group with NTs and my comments usually end the conversation. I feel liked enough when i see them in person, but my paranoia is starting to shoot through the roof and my decision making is being affected.

Anyone else on this level? Done with feeling stupid and embarrassed ALL THE TIME. Could really do with some advice. Thanks 

Parents
  • I used to use alcohol to deal with social anxiety a long time before I knew I was autistic. I struggled to function in a group setting unless I was drinking and would get drunk just to have the confidence to be around groups of loud people. 

I also couldnt talk to girls sober either

I stopped drinking for social anxiety a long time ago and it had such a good effect on me. Dont get me wrong the social anxiety is as strong as ever and I dont have many friends but at least I know if anyone ever does like me theyre liking me for me and not for how "fun" I am when I drink

Now I just have a beer or two in the evening because I like it rather than to try and get drunk which I dont do anymore

As for whats app groups, they are a nightmare! I dont know why anyone would ever want to be a part of one, they are the ultimate confusing social situation. Like you I can never know when is the right time to say something or how to join in the "banter" So stressful and confusing. I cant help thinking life was a lot easier for us autistic people before the invention of all this stuff

Anyway hope this helps, here anytime you need to talk. Just know your not alone and your great the way you are 

• I used to use alcohol to deal with social anxiety a long time before I knew I was autistic. I struggled to function in a group setting unless I was drinking and would get drunk just to have the confidence to be around groups of loud people. 

I also couldnt talk to girls sober either

I stopped drinking for social anxiety a long time ago and it had such a good effect on me. Dont get me wrong the social anxiety is as strong as ever and I dont have many friends but at least I know if anyone ever does like me theyre liking me for me and not for how "fun" I am when I drink

Now I just have a beer or two in the evening because I like it rather than to try and get drunk which I dont do anymore

As for whats app groups, they are a nightmare! I dont know why anyone would ever want to be a part of one, they are the ultimate confusing social situation. Like you I can never know when is the right time to say something or how to join in the "banter" So stressful and confusing. I cant help thinking life was a lot easier for us autistic people before the invention of all this stuff

Anyway hope this helps, here anytime you need to talk. Just know your not alone and your great the way you are 

Children
No Data