Grandparents

Hi new here but just wondering if there is a thread for us grandparents ? 

We are very close to our grandchildren our grandson is 8 not yet diagnosed but clearly autistic . He is a avid reader and piles through books quickly ,Harry Potter is his favourite just now and he enjoys David Walliams loves the humour .

Our grandson is highly sensitive with his clothes especially school uniform , socks and shoes . He no longer wears uniform for school now after a very difficult period getting him dressed for school. His Mum and dad worked hard and decided to stop school uniform school were helpful in the end. Summer holidays raised the clothes problem but more so socks, shoes or sandals with some days impossible to get out . 

we as grandparents wish to support him and our son and his wife . All advise welcome .Grinning

Parents
  • I have looked at your various replies.

I note that say you stay somewhere you have your own space on holidays. We always go self catering now and where possible go somewhere we have been before.

My son has more sensitivity about clothes if he is anxious.

It is helpful that you try to understand him and he spends time with you. We find very few people we know really understand our son's difficulties and that his responses are due to anxiety. It is often can't rather than won't.

Our son gets unsettled about anything different, even if it is something he wants to do. It is hard to go somewhere he doesn't know, so he likes to either see it on the internet or visit before an event 

Spending time with him to give his parents a break is very helpful. As parents we can never totally relax. It can feel like walking on eggshells. 

• I have looked at your various replies.

I note that say you stay somewhere you have your own space on holidays. We always go self catering now and where possible go somewhere we have been before.

My son has more sensitivity about clothes if he is anxious.

It is helpful that you try to understand him and he spends time with you. We find very few people we know really understand our son's difficulties and that his responses are due to anxiety. It is often can't rather than won't.

Our son gets unsettled about anything different, even if it is something he wants to do. It is hard to go somewhere he doesn't know, so he likes to either see it on the internet or visit before an event 

Spending time with him to give his parents a break is very helpful. As parents we can never totally relax. It can feel like walking on eggshells. 

Children
No Data