Hello, advice please

Hi,

My name is Lee, I have just joined, am trying to get to grips with how everything here works in terms of finding/joining groups.

Due to a very long history of masking/faking things/ increasingly isolating myself from social situations - plus my only direct family and best friend all passing away many years ago, and failed romantic relationships in the distant past,  I am very isolated/lonely in the 'real' world, and have struggled with depression on multiple occasions. My professional/work life has been fine, but my personal/social life has been completely decimated.

I am looking for some advice on how to find others with similar interests/join groups - on here, but also if anyone has experience of finding 'real life' groups they can join/feel part of a real interactive community, with others of a similar nature?

I am, and always have been, awful at 'real life' conversations (outside of e.g. work topics/tasks) - often silent/extremely quiet for extended periods, or relying on others to drive where I can occasionally chip in with something, but quite articulate when I can take time to write things down. As such, finding groups (or individuals) where I am not 'focused on'/under pressure, or can undertake group activities/watch events together are ideal.  I really like being around other people and care for them, I just can't articulate this/ socialize well in the traditional sense.

I am thinking I may have left all of this too late in life/have lost opportunities that may have existed if I had flagged things much sooner, but am now determined to at least try to make some  changes/see what is possible. I am doing my own research, and have recently joined a local (Merseyside) autism Facebook group, but struggling to find any other ways to interact with/meet people in real life as well as online.. (which itself is still a great start!)

Many thanks for any help/suggestions

Parents Reply
  • Thanks James.

I don't drive which can make things tricky, on the 3rd I am going to be having a medical appointment (something completely unrelated to autism/mental health), but I will take a look at this/figure out if there is a way for me to join some events - theatre/cinema events especially. I've actually just found a one off board games night this Friday a 5 minute walk from me on Meetup, am also going to try that. Hopefully will get to see you at an event in the near future!

Children
No Data