Telling my son he’s autistic

Hi I’m new here and looking for some advice my son who is 12 has just been given his diagnoses after nearly 3 years on the cdact waiting list, also the wait before his actual assessments and observations before going into the cdact list do it’s been a while before reaching this stage! He understands that he was assessed but he’s very much things are black or white, yes or no so refused to accept there was a possibility he’s autistic but now we have his diagnoses I’m worried how to tell him, I know he’ll always remember the day he was told so I want to get it as right as I can though I know sometimes there’s no right or wrong way but I just feel it’s really important I can explain as best I can. We’ve always known deep down and it’s been more prominent as the years have gone on. He’s at a really tricky age trying to identify himself trying to express himself and just become a teenager he has a lot going on in his wee head as it is, he with anxiety issues he has a lot of facial and vocal twitches/ticks he can get very loud though hates loud noise unless he’s making it, he is going through a lot at school now he’s at high school with bulling it’s been awful for him but lo always be his voice, stand up for him and be his biggest supporter

! If anyone has any advice on something to say and not to say to make it more comfortable I’d be really grateful :) 

thank you xx

Parents
  • Hi thank you for replying that sounds like a good idea, we spoke to him last night about having an official diagnoses he just shrugged it off and said “yea I know” which he had known there’s been a possibility but didn’t want to accept it and when we spoke about it he said no it’s wrong they’ve got it wrong and didn’t want to talk about it so we didn’t push it just now and then we’d mention it into conversation so sounds like he accepted it better than I expected though I’m sure it will still take time to digest I told him it’s a good thing that it will help him understand why he does and says the things he does I think giving him a bit of cake before we spoke about it helped lol I’ve told him he can come ask me any question he wants to and I’ll try and answer it the best I can, I found some little clips on cebbebies website (sp) (I’m dyslexic so excuse any of my mistakes) See no evil I know that website is aimed at younger children but it still has some things he'd understand better 

and no I don’t claim anything for him, I’m not sure he’d be eligible for anything

school are aware of his extra support needs and the bullying and help as best they can, I thought maybe a referral to autism outreach as his school can put in a referral to for someone to come in and talk to him about any worries and might explain things better to him than I can plus might speak to someone he doesn’t know about things he might not want to ask me xx

• Hi thank you for replying that sounds like a good idea, we spoke to him last night about having an official diagnoses he just shrugged it off and said “yea I know” which he had known there’s been a possibility but didn’t want to accept it and when we spoke about it he said no it’s wrong they’ve got it wrong and didn’t want to talk about it so we didn’t push it just now and then we’d mention it into conversation so sounds like he accepted it better than I expected though I’m sure it will still take time to digest I told him it’s a good thing that it will help him understand why he does and says the things he does I think giving him a bit of cake before we spoke about it helped lol I’ve told him he can come ask me any question he wants to and I’ll try and answer it the best I can, I found some little clips on cebbebies website (sp) (I’m dyslexic so excuse any of my mistakes) See no evil I know that website is aimed at younger children but it still has some things he'd understand better 

and no I don’t claim anything for him, I’m not sure he’d be eligible for anything

school are aware of his extra support needs and the bullying and help as best they can, I thought maybe a referral to autism outreach as his school can put in a referral to for someone to come in and talk to him about any worries and might explain things better to him than I can plus might speak to someone he doesn’t know about things he might not want to ask me xx

Children
No Data