Self-Diagnosed

Hi Everyone

I’m 35 and having done some reading over the past few days and online testing I’ve come to the realisation that I’m probably autistic

I think it’s quite mild and I’ve got good coping strategies as I don’t need any help really with my career, education or relationships. However working in the NHS I believe this means the chances of getting a formal diagnosis are pretty much nil and I don’t really want to get in the way of people more needing help and support

However, I now recognise that a wide variety of things I’ve always thought were either just me being weird or struggling with things that everyone else just gets on with, are actually quite classic autistic traits

I still think I’m processing a lot of this and don’t really know how I feel about it but I was hoping people might have advice on how to bring this up with people. I worry because a) I really struggle to talk about my emotions b) I don’t think people will take me seriously without a formal diagnosis and c) I think my parents will get quite upset. On the other hand though I want to be able to explain why I sometimes behave in ways that don’t make sense and seem hurtful to other people which I’ve never been able to articulate before 

That’s it really, I’d love to hear from anyone that’s been in a similar position

• I talked with close friends about it before I was diagnosed and then gradually got more confident and told more people - no need to push yourself. I really took my time - first I just told close people where I thought it would help with communication. Gradually got more confident and reached out to the autistic community - was accepted without question. Got more confident. It was all little by little so you stay inside your comfort zone and feel you have control over it. It's great that you're here, welcome. Feel free to PM if you want to hash it over. 

• Hi NAS78895 and Daz,

I thought you may be interested in the following post: 

https://community.autism.org.uk/f/adults-on-the-autistic-spectrum/26070/autism-severity-labels-and-the-spectrum

Wishing you all the very best,

Jim

Jimberry and the Couscous Youtube Channel

• Hi there, 

I recently self diagnosed too via an online test and other research. I too would categorise myself as mild with good masking strategies but am still aware of how different I am to other people. It's so interesting to read about people who as you put it are in a similar position!

• This community certainly helped me understand a great deal

• Hi I self diagnosed over this weekend. I also did the online test,it confirms I have autistic traits. I always felt 'different'. After all these years now I know why. I'm still getting my head around it,possibly delayed shock in processing it. The autism website recommends via a GP to receive a professional diagnosis but the nhs waiting list is well over 2 years or more. I joined this website with the hope of being able to relate to others like myself. SJ x

• Hopefully it will mean they can understand more maybe? I hope so :) 

• Thanks Kate. I have to admit I had some pretty inaccurate assumptions about autism until a few days ago so I do feel for the older generation. I actually think my parents may both suffer with autism/MH issues as well and can’t decide if this makes things easier or harder!

• Thank you, I’d struggled to find resources from a similar position but hadn’t thought to try YouTube but will now!

• Welcome. Self identifying is fine. Not everyone wants to go through the assessment process and not everyone needs a formal stamp. But if ever you do feel you'd benefit from diagnosis, don't worry about clogging up the system. Clogged up it may be but you are as important as anybody else.

As for telling people - I've encountered nothing but positivity from those who matter, but it can be a mixed bag and as you poke around this site, some folks you will see sadly haven't had a positive response from nearest and dearest.

We each have to judge who to talk to person by person I guess and it will always be a gamble.

But, hey! You know who you are and WHY you are, you can now start using that knowledge to make little things easier at least. And if you want moral support, you'll always get it here.

• It’s good that you’re coming to this realisation about yourself. Generally I think most people realise that they’re autistic before they get a diagnosis. I hope you can talk to those close to you about this - as it will help them to understand you a bit more (well - if they understand autism anyway). It is tricky - I understand that. My children are both autistic and that’s how it clicked with me that I am too. I’m just halfway through getting a diagnosis now with the nhs. I haven’t told my dad though that I’m autistic because I don’t think he’d understand - he’s not very educated about autism. He wouldn’t believe that someone who seems quite ‘normal’ on the outside is actually autistic. He wouldn’t get it so there’s no point in talking to him about it. My mum has dementia so I can’t tell her either.

I hope you have more luck in this way! 

• Hello and welcome NAS78895,

As I have not really been in your position I'm not sure I could be of much assistance though you may find it helpful to search Youtube for Vloggers who have been or are in a similar position.

Best wishes from Jim from Jimberry and the Couscous (small Youtuber)